Maintenance question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by markjones05, Feb 11, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have recently switched to a mac after using PC's for about 15 years. I know that on a pc I would frequently run norton and disk defragmentor to make sure my computer was still in tip top shape. Is there anyway to do this for my new G4? When i install a program is there a way to uninstall or do i just delete all the files? I know my questions may sound trivial to long time mac users but i just wanna make sure i am doing everything right. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

--First Post--

1) Mac OS X runs the UNIX version of chkdsk (scandisk) at startup. Also it does other checks at startup.

2) You can get Norton Utilities or System Works for Mac, and they work well, however I would stay away from System works untill at least verison 3, because it has some problems with OS X 10.2 file permissions.

3) On your System Install (when you boot from it) You can use the Application Manu to launch Apple's Disk First Aid. From there you can repair Permissions (Which can be courpted due to large numbers installations and deinstallations), also you may scan and repair most HD problems from there.

4) To Uninstall, 3 things may work, depending on who wrote the program, and which method they use to install.
    a) Run the Installation Program Again, there will be an option to uninstall.
    b) Run the included Uninstall application.
    c) Delete the Folder containing the software (This will just remove the software, not the preferences like the other two will.)

Any more queries or questions feel free to ask. Thats what we are all here for.

TEG

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No Problem... Most recient switchers have those questions.

TEG

5. jes13 macrumors member

First Aid

Teg I 'found' the first aid thingy (had to use finder), but when clicked on it - says 'not supported' by 'classaic' ? - - (in other words it won't work LOL).... I also am a 'switcher' and want to keep my computer (G4) 'cleaned' up - I DON'T like all the 'caches' and if I go into Caches is it 'safe' enough to delete all those in there too - instead of just the Safari ones? I use IE most of all thou - Safari :p

Jeanne

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Maintenance question

at least on the defrag thing, i will tell you (as a mac and pc tech) that pc machines need much more defragging, scandisk, and tossing out of unnecessary files

also pc boxes need the anti-virus checks way, way more often

macs are really hearty machines and worth the initial extra cost for a "slower" machine...but what use is a fast pc when it always needs bookoo utilities and maintenance to keep it running?:p

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

- markjones05

Also, leave it on overnight about once a week.

There are built-in UNIX System Maintenance Chrons that run between 3:00am (machine local time) and 4:00am.

All you have to do is remember not to shut it off!

8. jes13 macrumors member

Overnight maintenance?

There are built-in UNIX System Maintenance Chrons that run between 3:00am (machine local time) and 4:00am.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No Kidding Patrick???

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Or even simpler is to get MacJanitor and run it once a week or so.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Or even simpler is to get MacJanitor and run it once a week or so.

I would not get any Norton Utilities product at this time. Norton has been patched to kind of work with OSX but it has yet to be designed from the ground up for X. When I tried Norton last it had to modify the system kernel when installed and this in the end led to a horrible downward spiral of different system failures, problems, and slowdowns. I ended up deinstalling Norton (did not fix what had been done) and selling it. I had to completely reinstall the system to finally repair the damage done.

The only 3rd party disk repair utility that I trust right now is Disk Warrior. You can't go wrong with it.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: First Aid

On caches. Safari has an option under the "safari" menu, for empty cache. The other browsers all have "delete cache" buttons in their preferences, look around for it-- you can also turn the cache off on other browsers, which can actually increase speed on very fast internet connections, but Safari does not yet support cache modification.

not sure about your classic problem, tho, are you running OS X? someone with more experience with classic will have to help on this one--

pnw

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: First Aid

You're trying to use the wrong First Aid. The one you tried to use is an OS9 program found in the OS9 Applications folder. You want to find the First Aid program in the normal applications/utilities folder.

13. jes13 macrumors member

14. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

repair permissions every few weeks, run fsck in single user mode once a month, defragmenting is risky especially with the current versions of norton

Use the apple knowledge base (support) for details, really loaded with info there!