Maintenance while sleeping?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VforVelveta, Mar 13, 2007.

1. VforVelveta macrumors regular

Nov 16, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I recently installed several applications on my MBP and since then it has been taking much longer to load up, which I was thinking might mean it needs to run though its scheduled maintenance (defragging and the like). However, from what I understand OS X does this generally in the wee hours of the morning. I tend to put my MBP to sleep before I go to bed and generally don't wake it up until I get home from work the next day, so I was wondering if it has been able to do the maintenance or if it does it while it's asleep.

Also, is there a program or way to check when the last time things were run that someone can recommend? Thanks for any help.
  2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    When your computer is asleep it is in complete stasis. Nothing runs at all, so no, the computer can't do maintenance in its sleep. (although it would be damn cool if it could :cool: )

As far as figuring out the last time maintenance scripts were run, yes there are ways, but I don't know them :eek: . I'll let someone else chime in.

Cheers :)
  3. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not so sure about checking when those scripts were last run, but there are plenty of programs that will run those scripts whenever you want.

OnyX is one, MainMenu is another, and there's an Automator action called Maintenance that'll do this.
  4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Maintenance scripts cannot run while the computer is asleep - if they're scheduled to run while the computer is asleep, they will run when it next awakens, instead. That explains the longer loading times you're experiencing.

As for a program to check when things last ran, I suppose using a combination of CronniX and Lingon (depending on how stuff gets scheduled, you'll need one tool or the other) would work.
  5. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2006
    Onyx not only lets you run them whenever you want (which is unnecessary really since OS X runs them when you wake your computer up anyways), you can check to make sure they've been running when they should by checking the log files. Onyx has a tab that lets you check log files. I'm not on my Mac right now, so I can't give specific directions, but it's pretty easy to find within the program if you look for it.
  6. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    True, and OnyX does a TON more than that too. I recommend downloading and using OnyX in general; it's a _GREAT_ program.
  7. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2007
    You can also take a few seconds to run your maintenance through terminal.My preference,I'm not big on using disk space for programs that I don't need.Even though Onyx and similar programs aren't big,they add up.Plus I like to kick it old school >.>

Here's a pretty basic list...
  8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2007
    Yeah, onxy is good, it worked wonders for my system till I tried to instal Front Row on my PB... then it never worked again.