Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rob A, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Rob A macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2006
    hey guys, i'm pretty new to mac and i was just wandering, is there anything i need to do to help kepp my iMac or my macbookpro running fast?

like on the PC, i needed to delete temporary internet files, or run a disk defrag etc...

i know macs are meant to be much better for all of this stuff, but sureley there is something i need to do?

thanks guys
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    MainMenu or OnyX should take care of all your maintenance needs. The rule of thumb is that you don't really need to do anything, just let the periodicals run and restart if things start getting slow. That said, the above apps can help with things like clearing out cache and logs, running mentioned periodicals repairing permissions, etc. :)
  3. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    Honestly man, Im running a 1.6ghz powermac G5 with 1GM of ram and I use high end apps like Final Cut Studio, yet I got plenty of photo's and music and etc. on my unit and I dont do any form of maintinance what so ever. Also being a pure PC user till about 4-5 years ago, to this day, the thought creeps you out. Your looking to run some form of spyware, a reformat, defrag etc but I just dont need to do it. Unit is running like a beast, this many years later with no glitches to report. :apple: