Major Buying Crisis

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mpopkin, Jun 13, 2005.

1. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

I am faced with a terrifying decision, heartbreaking, death defying, When i switched(back to) to mac again 4 years back I said i would never ever pay for a PC again, but now i am torn, apple is ripping me apart, I really want an ultraportable and not just any ultraportable, but a Sony t350 which weighs 2 lbs and is really thin AND has a built in Dual Layer DVD burner with a 1.2 GHZ ultra low power Pentium M chip and is a hot little machine, I am really peeved at Apple for not releasing an ultraportable or new product for the past two years, and they appear to be content to sit on their respective haunches until next year, extending the prolonged wait as long as they can. I need help deciding, should i at least look at a pbook 12" i have had the 15" pbook and love it but it is not ultra portable and does not have that great a battery life, this laptop will have a 9 hour battery life! which is amazing, but i am torn, because i love osx

can anyone offer advice

thanks

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Check out the user reviews on CNet. Not very reassuring quality-wise. Which particular model were you looking at, because the ones I found all weighed 3.1 pounds, not 2. This is just a 1.5 pound difference for what seems to be an inferior computer compared to the 12-inch Powerbook.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The hardware may seem nice but once you start using XP after a while on OSX you will get very frustrated very quick, not so much by the spyware and reliability but more because of the ease of use Mac OSX has over Windows XP..

ShadOW :p

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The 12" is ultraportable and my battery consistently lasts 4-5 hours, mostly because I keep the screen dimmed all the time. The problem with the 15s is they take up a lot of space even if the Sony weighs less. I thought long and hard but in the end the 12" is the only one for me.

The Sony may look nice, weigh less and have longer battery life but in the end it is running on Windows and as WM said, the reviews of it aren't that great. Are you really sure you want to go that route?

5. AnewMac macrumors regular

I would get a 12" pbook. You can't beat the iLife applications and the smooth OS Tiger. It is less than 5 lbs and I get around 3.5 hours of battery life.

6. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

why would you need 9 hours of battery life??? just a quick and curious question..

7. andcraig macrumors regular

Sony's are incredibly nice while they last..but its not always a long time.
    My friend got a very thin, light sony laptop with dvd burner internal..long batt life..all that
    but the tradeoff was a 30 gig harddrive that ended up dying within 4 months
    and the construction on the screen hinge was extremely shoddy.

f you must have an ultralight at least look at toshibas. My dad got one from his job about 5 years ago and it only died this year..and thats because i was horrible to it and the connector to the screen from the mobo died.
    Or just get a 12 inch powerbook...they're not ultralight, but really..its not like they're all that heavy.

8. mpopkin thread starter macrumors 6502

mpopkin

hey
    thanks for the input, just uh read my sig, i have tiger and have been using it since it came out, in addition I have old performas and a G5. I love OS X and that is the base of the problem, i love the 12 pbook, but it is heavy for its size, i am just hoping that apple releases an ultraportable sooner rather than later and that is what is driving me insane.
    thanks

9. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

umm...

May I ask why you need a laptop so small? The PB 12" is fine for traveling...just buy an adapter for the plane that makes em-power into apple-power :D

10. mpopkin thread starter macrumors 6502

mpopkin

peace corp is the reason i need so small, i am going to always be on the go and this is for photos and research only, so the sony makes sense i think
    but i am still hoping apple releases a small laptop though

Matt

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Hmmm... Might make sense then. Is it really just 2 pounds? For an even more lightweight option, I was thinking about getting a PDA with folding keyboard for backcountry hiking. Might be all you need.

12. mpopkin thread starter macrumors 6502

mpopkin

good point, hint hint STEVE, we want a PDA