Major Change in My Life, I need your help and input.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by carbonmotion, Jul 2, 2005.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I don't know if anyone else is like me, but I'm a twenty year old college student (at the university of michigan) and it seems like I'm perpetually disorganized. I mean, my room is very neat and such, it's my life thats disorganized. Well, let me start telling you the story from the very beginning...

The week before freshman year of college, I was told by my friends that I needed a PDA to keep my life organized. So I bought a Sony Clie SJ20... and it was the biggest waste of money in my entire adult life. Here are the reasons why... freshman year was extremely hard academically, but as far as appointment management was concerned, I had little of that to deal with. scribbling some time down on a sticky worked pretty well. So the sony, aside from being unable to sync with my ibook (and i was too cheap to shell out for missing sync) because a very expensive paper weight. Ok. fast forward two years... at the end of my sophmore year I had my Job's deadlines, school's deadlines, UROP deadlines, family obligations and trips.... it seems like there are so many deadlines I can't even keep them straight. While ical and my powerbook has had some success in straightening things out, it's just not a simple way to write an assignment down or set down a dead line on the go. So the voice of that friend from my freshman year started playing in my head again... that and my boss chewing my ass for missing client meetings (shudder)... anyways, since freshman year, I've upgraded to a 15 inch aluminum powerbook with every option... I need a PDA that can sync or "missing sync" with my powerbook /ical via bluetooth... it has to be able to do some notetaking, have a calender, sync with my address book ....and maybe featuring the ability to read some word or excel files... so far i'm leaning towards palm; i've looked at Palm and Sony , but they have so many models, I'm really confused... which is where you guys come in, how about it? give this chap some advice? I need this thing to cost around 60 to 130 bucks US dollar. ebay recommendations are cool too. thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sony got out of the non-Japan PDA market over a year ago, so anything you'd buy from them would be old. And who knows about any type of support going forward.

I also bought a Clie about three years ago (the N610C, I believe). Biggest waste of $360 ever...I just don't have a need to carry it around. I pretty much just use my computer to keep track of things. My Clie sits in a drawer and gets used once in a while for calculation or a quick game of Bejeweled. My Clie syncs just fine with any of my Macs via the cradle (this was before Bluetooth)...I don't know about the prospects of finding a BT-compatible PDA at the price you're looking for though.

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I myself own a palm Zire 71 and use Shadow Plan to keep track of deadlines/projects.
    Have a look: http://www.codejedi.com/
    Palm and desktop app with great support from the developer.

As for syncing, it should work fine. My palm syncs flawlessly to iCal and the rest. So i would think you don't even need to waste more money on a handheld. Maybe check that out first.

Good luck

4. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

i need bluetooth syncing

5. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

... :eek:

shadow still stands though ;)

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Here is the Palm website. They have a new OS that works with Bluetooth. They have models with Bluetooth built in. There is also a wide array of software available. My wife uses the Palm Tungsten to keep on track as a visiting nurse.