Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

molan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I have a nearly new 13" Air which has been working fine for the last month but when I brought it back from sleep mode this morning it had all sorts of problems.

Initially my dock had three Microsoft Office error messages bouncing happily away. I couldn't seem to do anything with these and had to Force Quit to get them to go away.

Programmes open at this point were Word, Entourage, Safari, Mail & Preview

I tried launching Safari and nothing seemed to happen so I decided to log off and back on again. When I logged back in my dock had disappeared and my desktop background was changing every few seconds (it was set to change every 15 minutes).

I checked open programmes and Microsoft Error Reporting was open but not responding - I hit Force Quit to get rid of it.

After that the only thing that seems to be working is the Finder. If I open any applications either nothing at all happens or I just get a spinning roundel for ages.

At this point I lose the ability to log out etc. If I force the machine to re-start it always re-boots straight to my personal log-in (rather than going to the usual boot-up screen which has two users, mine and my office admin team).

The MS Error reporting is always open and always not responding.

I seem to be able to get into programme folders and can get Utilities to start (also Terminal). I've tried repairing permissions to see if that would help but it just seems to hang with the dear old spinning ball for ages.

I have a feeling it's the last Word document I had open that's caused something to go awry. It was a very simple 1 page party invitation but it did come from a source that hasn't sent me anything before so maybe there was something 'nasty' in it somewhere!

All help gratefully received - I use my Air every day and am a bit lost without it. . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.