MAJOR Font Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ryantheappleguy, Mar 13, 2007.

1. ryantheappleguy macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2007
    Hello fellow Mac users :) ,
    I Just did the system update and now I have a major problem with my fonts. My fonts have been changed to some weird graffiti font that I cant even read.
    The font is in all my apps but only on my admin user account and not on my work or gf's user account.
    Is there a way I can just reinstall the default fonts?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Before you reinstall the fonts, try using Font Book to Resolve Duplicates (Edit menu). Do you have any theme changers installed? :)
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    if'n it's only happening in your User, then in must be specific to something you have in your own user folder, likely in your account's ~User/Library/Fonts
  4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    This will happen on occasion in Mail and when I browse in Safari. I spent a couple of days searching it down and found that (and was confirmed by online research) that older postscript fonts and some True-Type fonts will cause the application to use fonts the system doesn't recognize. I once had "Mail" using "Helvetica Fractions" for it's display font and the only way to resolve the issue was to delete it off the machine totally and re-boot.

There is a lot of information out there on how to remove or handle unwanted fonts in OS X, try a Google search like "Deleting fonts in OS X" and you can find tons of help and reading.

But if you haven't already heard, NEVER, and I mean NEVER remove "LucidaGrande.dfont" from the System>Library>Fonts or the machine will never boot up.