Major foot fetish

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 26, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...or should i say shoe fetish?

my whole life, i have never seen the need to have expensive shoes...places like payless shoe source or some major brand outlet have been all i have looked at

i do know there are some really nice shoes out there like ferragamo, red wing, ecco, mephisto, etc and i have seen basically two types of people really put the money into very expensive footwear

they only thing i have seen with the expensive footwear is that they last a long, long time

at the mall near my house, there is a saks fifth avenue and that place, near a major tourist bus depot, constantly gets filled with the noveau riche...the old money i tend to see keeps it low key down to their footwear, but newly rich, or at least the ones i have seen have really great footwear

the other group i have seen with expensive footwear are the vietnam veterans in my area, many of them homeless, but in contact with many of the social services in the county...i spent a couple of years as a social worker to mostly homeless vietnam veterans and right next to beer, shoes were a big deal

besides having proper glasses, the county, homeless agencies, and the va seem to be obsessed with getting the best, long wearing shoes for their clients and many of them, who otherwise have nothing, do have redwings or ecco boots

in the vast majority of people that fit between homeless veterans and the rich, i rarely see high end shoes/boots

the other day, for the only time in my 40 years, i actually bought a pair of nice, over 100 dollar a pair, shoes (ecco gortex boots like i see on the veterans, 190 usd/my other choice, also the most common shoe i see on homeless veterans, the redwing boot, would have cost a little more)...i still feel guilty as hell but my wife had been nagging me to get good shoes for no less than 7 years and i finally gave in...she is older than me, and whether she had a good paycheck or not, she always made it a point to have great shoes

the shoe salesman didn't have to explain why rich, or should i say noveau riche, buy great shoes...heck, they will buy anything and if it is something one wears, then heck, that's an easy sell

but he did mention, if you are like those homeless veterans, or like many of the newly arrived illegal immigrants, the only thing you have is your health and there is nothing more attached to one's well being and health than good shoes

first there is the whole theory about how one's bones and muscles all throughout one's body starts with the feet and much of man's biggest medical complaint, back pain, is a direct result of inproper shoes

and he mentioned for people who live outdoors, inproper shoes is the best way to be open to sickness and disease...i don't know if i buy all those theories, but then again, i have spent my whole life buying the cheapest shoes i could find :)

so folks, tell me about your shoe stories ;)

2. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

From April till September, I wear nothing but flipflops.

For me, it's kind of an anti-shoe, anti-rich thing, but mostly its because they're comfy. I'm kind of a California boy living in the midwest.

I've always hated the stuffiness about having expensive shoes (or any clothes for that matter). I pay 400% more attention to staying in shape, because I figure if the bod looks good, then anything you wrap it in is just secondary. Clothes are just clothes.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

why buying shoes i try to fall in the 20-50 € price range but i'm still picky because my shoes take serious punishment because i wear them in winter and summer...
    my last pair of adidas survived 2,5 years daily use and were still useable in rain and snow without getting wet inside fast... now i have some 'no name' shoes ..i expect/hope that they to last till next year ...
    low quality tshirts,jeans...i can live with that...but shoes are really important

4. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hmmm..

i've always bought expensive shoes - but that's becuase I dont buy lots.

some of my friends go and buy £100 ($180) trainers, and then they buy another pair a couple of weeks later. i supose that's because they wear trainers a lot.

i, however, will spend about $250 on a pair of good shoes, because I will wear them for about a year (till they are tight - im still growing, only 16 :)).

Plus, you cant have a $3000 powerbook and wear $20 shoes - hehe :p

5. brap macrumors 68000

I wear nothing but CAT boots I buy from hardware stores (No VAT, oh yeah!), and Merrell trainers from hiking stores. Utilitarian? Damn right.

I have the apathy thing locked down :)

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i have a lot of shoes... it's nice to swap a pair depending on my mood or what i'm wearing.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm more of a boot kinda guy. The only pair of shoes I own are Adiddas Sambas (which I replace about every 4 years). I do about 8 pairs of boots though (cowboy, combat, square toe). I'd say average cost is around $80 a pair. The newest pair is about 1.5 years old the oldest pair is about 7-8 years old.

Lethal

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I used to have 1-2 pairs of moderately-priced shoes (~$50), but in the last couple years have been more into shoes. Now I have around 12 pairs of different styles, costing anywhere from $50 - $300, including green Ferrari soccer shoes, some Diesel sneakers, custom Converse lowtops by John Varvatos, and of course some boots and dress shoes, mostly from Italy.

My wife is the one that got me into it. She loves shoes, and for some unexplainable reason, I enjoy buying her expensive shoes. My favorite are a pair of one-of-a-kind red pumps with sexy straps that cost around $500, in NYC's SOHO District. It was worth well worth it. I imagine her shoe collection is in the 30+ range, mostly much more expensive than mine.

Lee Tom

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i just bought 6 pairs of shoes the other day; i dont believe in getting cheap shoes, i like things that will last me and look good at the same time.

10. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

i'm a flip-flop man. doing that whole Cali lifestyle thing in Northern England can get chilly, though. North Face boots for the cold months

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i have just got into good shoes, and ditched the ultra cheap payless shoe source routine

...but today, i just looked around for an alternate pair of good working boots to the ecco boots i bought yesterday...i went to a rockport store and found comparable boots, but when the rockport salesman found i had ecco boots on, he told me they would wreck my feet because "D" width was too narrow

so he gave me a pair of equally expensive rockport boots and said they were "EEE" width and should be more comfortable...in fact they were less comfortable and the tag inside said they were "D", not "EEE"...so for 160 dollars, he was just after a commission

the day before, the ecco salesman told me that ecco was ten times better than rockport and at 190 dollars, he was after a commission, too

i did buy the ecco shoes yesterday, but now after the very conflicting reports from the commissioned shoe salesmen, i have come to the conclusion it's about sales and commission, not good shoes

my last five pairs over the last several years have been slightly to way better than payless shoe source...rockport, roc-sport by rockport, nunn bush, carolina, and the ecco shoes...each time, somebody got a commission...god, and after the last two days, i saw a racket i never knew existed

...for me, back to payless shoe store and no more high end shoes...or at least from shoe salesmen who would say anything to make a buck ;)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I own a pair of Rockports that cost me $160 CDN/$110 USD/£60, and that's the most expensive shoes I own. Ecco's didn't fit me as well, although they were very nice.

I own lots of shoes -- none are expensive, yet none of them are cheap. A US$60 pair of New Balance shoes (great shoes, low sale price ;) ), Birkenstocks (how can i survive without them!!), my thongs/flip-flops, and a pair of Pumas I got on the cheap.

Most importantly are my Merrell Mocs, the suede shoes that don't have laces, a great feature if you go out to a pub and don't like untying your shoes when you get home drunk. They're also highly water resistant and I can wear them in a thunderstorm and the inner shoe doesn't get wet. Highly recommended.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I buy cheap shoes. I tried expensive ones (at my mother's insistence) but they hurt my feet. At least with cheap shoes if they hurt your feet you don't feel guilty about not wearing them. And as a female, I must own at least 12 pairs of shoes. At $50 a pop that is $600!!!! I rarely spend more than $20 on a pair of shoes. Usually around $10. The only exception is on good running/walking shoes. Those I'll go up to $50ish depending on my current budget.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

180 every couple of weeks?! You guys are rich...Jeez...

I spend 60 to 100 on some form of Nike airs, which I, like you, wear for a year. I feel guilty about that; I feel like I should make my shoes last longer, but I don't take great care of them.

180 every few weeks...I can't get over that...Thousands of dollars a year for shoes?! That's ridiculous. If I could afford that, then I'd buy a computer every year or two instead.

Even 250 for shoes seems a bit much to me, but at least that is within some realm of normal expenditure.

15. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i tend to buy nice shoes for non-work, but for work i wear sneakers...i am harsh as hell on my sneakers. For example: bought a pair of reeboks in january, wore the soles down from constant use, spilled deck stain on them, coffee, and a vat of chicken soup (the soup finally did them in).
    i am now sporting a nice spanking clean pair of vans. for now.
    i try to spend 40~ on sneakers, figuring it evens out to around 10.00 a month for the amoutn of use i get from them.
    For nicer shoes, I am willing to go up to 70 (depends on my budget that month).
    I got through phases with shoes. sometimes i have tons, sometimes i use the same pair for months.
    anyhow, i thought this thread would be WAY kinkier.
    -carly

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

$250 pairs of running shoes are no better than $100 running shoes unless you're buying from Asics, New Balance, Brooks, Sugoi, etc. I really don't see the need to own a $250 pair of shoes, and I definitely don't see the need of owning more than one pair of sports shoes, unless one was exclusively for running, one for basketball, and one for casual use. And even then, I'd buy 2 pairs of running shoes at $80 or so rather than one pair for $250. Richer people have a choice, but if it doesn't make a difference, then it doesn't make sense to spend the money even if you have it.

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i guess i usually pay somewhere between $80-150 for a pair of shoes; sketchers, doc martins, birkenstock, airwalks, vans. shoes that are nice, but not over the top. professionally i'll spend up to $200 for a pair, so far florsheim is my favorite, so it's still pretty cheap, usually $100 (florsheims last a -long- time, you just replace the soles every few years). in terms of personal shoes, i think i would pay up to, say, $600 for the right pair. so far i haven't seen any that justify that tag. mens' shoes simply don't have the range and appeal at high-end that womens' do. and unlike many gay men, i don't buy shoes a lot... i usually have one work and one off-the-clock pair at any given time, replacing every year or two... depending on how good the shoe is. i just bought a pair of adidas four months ago, made of hemp (which is usually very strong), and they have holes in them in matching spots now... which is bad, because our office is summer-casual... so i wear them to work :( stupid adidas.

i love steve madden, but as striking as his designs are, my feet are size 13.5. So they look like clown shoes on me. As do most shoes, unfortunately... so that's a bitch. unless i have something specific in mind (dancing, business, funeral, world domination), i buy for comfort. Now about getting birkenstock to make a clog that looks good that big...

paul

18. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I own about 6 pairs of Ecco's, because I like the how they look and, more importantly, how they feel. Rockports never fit quite right. Mephistos always seem too skinny. Doc Martins are nice, but a bit too heavy.

Some people blow their money on cars, suits, lattes, furniture, or whatever. Me, there are three things I will shell out a lot of money for: a nice pair of sunglasses, and a good down pillow, and a quality pair of shoes.

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I like my cheap shoes...

I have 7 pairs ... 1 for the garden and basement, just hard work, they are 5 years old and still can play soccer with them, had a nice pair but they got smelly because of material, sh*t, they were nice, but I definitely like my cheap pair, 39€, have had in a daily basis since 6 months, the last 2 years I had 95% of the time just one pair... having more at home though... ...:D

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

update on expensive shoes

i got some shoe stretchers and they did the trick

i like the shoes now but i don't think that spending 200 dollars will give me a shoe twice as good as one for 100 or three times better than a 65 dollar pair

so no matter how good the shoe, if it doesn't fit it will suck...thank god for shoe stretchers...i gained prolly about 1/4 inch on the width

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

lol i kinda like this thread. my shoes: a pair of nike flip flops, some cheap loafers i got at marshalls, some adidas sneakers and a pair of homer simpson slippers. i usually go on the cheap end cause i like to buy often. 40-50ish USD every 6 months for sneakers, 30 bucks every time i outgrow 'em for like nice shoes and no more than 20 for flip-flops. i used to be in to those a lot but they started to hurt my feet... :(

22. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not necessarily...

Exhibit A: Parachute Pants
    Exhibit B: Hawaian shirts

As to topic...I buy expensive ($100-200) Black walking shoes every couple of years. Only shoes I wear, or own (have running shoes for exercise). They last forever and are very confortable. Current pair are Clarks. Used to have Birkenstock (shoes).

when I lived in Texas, only wore sandals (also Birkenstocks)..although the wet NW put an end to that...

23. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Hey homerjward, have you tried Rainbow flip flops?

http://www.rainbowsandals.com/

These are exceptionally comfortable, and the toe separator thing doesn't feel like it's trying to saw your big toe off. They have really good arch support too, although they're a little pricey at ~$50 (the brown ones, anyway).

Overall I'm a sandals sort of person. Lately though, I've had horrible luck buying shoes! I bought two pairs of Coach sandals and they are the most uncomfortable things ever. I guess I'd be fine if I just sat in one spot all day, but they're horrible if you have to walk anywhere ... no support for your foot AT ALL. I guess I should have thought about this before buying them. :(

I like Etnies and Converse sandals. They've never let me down. :)

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

wow, i can't believe i resurrected such an old thread ;)

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I wear some Puma's right now and they are worthless. Some of the rubber off the sides have broken off but that's ok. My other shoes have been KSwiss and Adidas. Both held up very well. My best shoes I have own though are Doc Marten's.I still have 4 pairs from the Jr. High days (4-5) years old. They are a little beaten up but they still are tough as hell, they are expensive though.

iJon