Major iMac G5 problem! please help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

There is what happend.

I got a brand new iMac G5 from ebay it is in working conditions and there is no problems with it. I pluged it into my 240 volts socket and when i switch the socket switch on i heard a BIG BANK and blue lights came out of the bottem on the G5. I was not looking directly at it so i have no idea what exaclly happend.

I am about to go to bed now so please leave messages so when i wake up i can fix it or do the next best thing.

- Can i change the power suply?
    - can i put a temp one for teh time being?
    - i live out side the US/Europe and only have apple reselers who know not much about apple products.

Please help

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you got it on eBay from somebody in the US, it probably has a 100-120V power supply...

No universal power supply in US models, so you probably fried the computer when you plugged in into a 240V didn't use a converter to drop the voltage.

Only way to get it working is to start replacing things...

Since you actually saw the electricity destroying you machine.

Check the original packaging/manuals, it probably will list the power requirements.

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yeah dude I gotta say it sounds like you just fried you new computer.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Sounds like you'll be buying ANOTHER iMac G5 very soon! Thats what you get for buying something like that from eBay! I'd just get it from Apple and you won't have to wait very much longer for it. Then you know its going to work and is the correct model for your country.

You'll probably have to change the power supply, logicboard (Motherboard), possibly the processor, and possibly the RAM. So you better be a good ********ter to AppleCare or else you'll be looking at some very expensive repairs.

5. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I took it to an apple workshop they said they will call me when they have any info. The crazy thing is i had a convertor but i forgot to use it, i always just pulg apples into my my socket and things work.

Oh well i have my fingers crossed.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

To make the Power Supply fit into there, the iMac G5 is not auto-voltage-switching. Someone else friend their iMac this way to too long ago...

ALWAYS check your voltages before plugging them in. Especially new ones. You are now the not-so-proud owner of a 17" (or 20") paperweight.

7. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

So you mean i should just put it in thr trash?

8. colocolo macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but I think you're out of luck. When I first read your post I was sure the problem was another, since every Apple product I have owned (save for an ImageWriter II) has worked in the 100-240v range. According to the tech specs, though, this iMac has two versions, depending on the country( why did they do this?).

I guess you'll just have to get a new one... good luck.

9. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

How were you even able to plug it in? Isn't the physical plug a different shape? :confused:

10. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have my ways :)

I used an adapter.

GREAT NEWS!!! :)

I took it to the apple workshop and they fixed it :) i am using it now to on this forum :) Thanks god omg i was sooo happy when it worked.

11. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

for future reference....DON'T use an adapter... anyways you are really really lucky that they fixed it.

12. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I am a very good customer of theres, they even left the workshop open an extra 1 hour to fix it :). I am using a power convertor now (110 to 240), i cant tell you how lucky i am, after i heard the BIG bang (sounded like a bomb) and the blue light i was 99% sure that the iMac was dead.

The good thing out of this is i will never do this mistake again.

13. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

14. bostonwhaler1 macrumors member

Yeah, it's definately cooked. Chuck it out. :D

Actually, chuck it in a box and ship it this way! :cool:

You're lucky man!