Major iPhoto problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kerpow, Apr 10, 2006.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

My wife and I have separate logins but having different iPhoto libraries was becoming a headache. So I moved my library into Users/Shared/ then restarted iPhoto and pointed it to that folder. Everything fine so far.

Then I logged in as my wife, moved her library to her Desktop, opened iPhoto and pointed it to ther Shared folder. Then manually imported the hundred or so photos she had from her library that I had moved to her Desktop. Still fine.

At that stage I assumed that everything was rosy and started creating a number of albums to arrange the new library.

I then closed iPhoto on her log on and switched back to my logon to check that everything is the same. But its not. When I open iPhoto it lists all the Albums but says every one has 0 photos, even the Photo Library itself.

When I log on back as my wife it is now exactly the same for as well. Yet both of us can browse the contents of each folder through Finder

I checked the permissions of that folder (/Users/Shared/iPhoto Library)and I am set as Owner with Read and Write, Wheel has Read access and I've set all others as Read and Write. Have applied those permissions to enclosed items.

Worringly I have even tried moving the library back to /My Logon/Pictures and it is still the same.

What could possibly be wrong? Is this some weird UNIX quirk, it would be simple in Windows. Or does it sound I've somehow managed to corrupt some kind of database file?

This would be really annoying if I have to manually recreate the entire library.

2. kerpow thread starter macrumors 6502