Major iPod help needed!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bennetsaysargh, Aug 23, 2003.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i am having troubles with my iPod. it won't plug into my computer. it's a 3G 15GB iPod, and ti won't stay connected to the computer. not literally, but i connect it, and it sows up on the desktop for a second, and then is gone. on the iPod itself, it shows the do not disconnect message for a second, and then goes back to how it normally is.
    i need help becayuse i don't have any songs on there at the moment. i acidentally cleared it, and now it own't stay connected.

please help me :( :( :(
    i need by iPod back as soon as possible

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Calm down, everything is cool. It's just updating and unmounting. Most likely it's doing exactly what you have it set to do (garbage in, garbage out). You probably have it set to "update selected playlists" or whatever it's called and don't have any playlists selected. If you create a playlist in iTunes you'd have to go into your iPod preferences and select that playlist to be updated. You can change that though. Play with your preferences in iTunes and you'll figure it out. If you enable firewire disk use then the icon will always be on your desktop.

3. Anna macrumors regular

Ok, because you cleared it you have erased the software that the computer uses to differentiate your iPod from an external HDD. Log onto the apple website and download the updater...I think it is something like 2.0.3 (I dunno the most recent one as i have a 2nd Gen. iPod) and then click the restore button. This will let ur mac know that it is actually an iPod.

If that doesnt work... Open iTunes when you connect and click on the button that looks like an iPod in the bottom right hand corner and click "Automatically update songs and playlists" as you may have it set to "manage playlists manually."

Hope this helps and goodluck!

4. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

the computer knows it's an iPod. it shows up on the desktop for a second, and then it disappears. i called applecare this morning and they said it was a hardware issue. i gotta go down the the palisades tomorrow. i think i mig need to get a new one.:(

5. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I have one heck of a time connecting my iPod to my machine! It will flash 'Do Not Disconnect' for HOURS without connecting. I've had some luck my disconnecting it (against the warning), but sheesh...WTF? I've had the same sort of problem with my Firewire drive. If I mount it, then when I'm done, unmount it, it won't mount again unless I reboot my computer. This being my only means of remounting either devices...it means I must disconnect my iPod (in a sense, by powering down my machine), to get it to mount again. :mad:

6. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well i went to the palisades store, and all he did was reformat it and it was fixed. i don't know why i wasn't even able to mount it, but all that matters is that its fixed.:)

7. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I finally got mine working again...by checking other boards and whatnot. It boiled down to having the ipod off the dock, repairing permissions, logging out and back in, then plugging the ipod back on the dock...go figure.

I think it all boils down to how OS X handles discs mounting and unmounting...unless you log out or shutdown between unmounts, everything goes pretty screwy (last night my machine didn't shutdown at all---I had to force it!)