Major Ipod Update Problems, can you please help me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChristopherC, Dec 15, 2004.

1. ChristopherC macrumors newbie

I have an IPOD version 2 i think (four buttons above the wheel)

Its now been one year since i purchased my ipod. Just the other week, i plugged my Ipod into my computer to update my library. A window popped up saying that my Ipod software WAS NOT up to date and to click here to download a updater. I downloaded the program off the apple site and i installed it and everything and when it went to go evaluate my ipod it came up saying i needed to restore my ipod (meaning i would erase everything and start over fresh, literally) and so i clicked the button and watched the progress bar grow and it stopped right at the end, and said i would have that the restore process is done and i have to wait for my ipod to restart itself. Well i waited and waited and nothing happened. i left my computer on all night and still nothing happened. When i unplug it it still reads "disk mode" and it just freezes on the charging screen. I would really like to update it/ or fix it whatever to just make my ipod work again. Please help me.

2. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Hi Chris,

OK, by your description it sounds like you've got a Gen 3 iPod. Do you have any other firewire devices plugged in (external hard drives, hubs, scanners, ect)? If so unplug them so that the iPod is the only firewire device connected. It also sounds like your iPod might be wiped already, but try going through the restore process. Once it finishes, if the iPod doesn't reboot, you can force a reboot by holding down the Menu button and the Play/Pause button at the same time, for about 2 seconds. After it reboots, it should mount on your Desktop, iTunes should start, and ask you to give your iPod a name. After that it should download all of your music. Let me know how you make out.

Regards,
    Marc