Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pad18

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
My ipod has been randomly skipping songs for no apparent reason. I returned it once to the store and they reset it and said it should work -- it didn't. The second time i went back they gave me a replacement, but that one had a problem with the touch pad, so i returned that one and got another replacement. At first it didn't skip any songs and now all of sudden, starting today it's happening again. I need help... =(

Pad18

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
alot of them are ripped cd's but most of it is downloaded by torrents. but if my music is corrupted then how can it randomly skip songs? it doesnt make sense to have a song skip one time then the next time i listen to it it play the whole way through

zebbz

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
London
its usually when a file is corrupt so it just skips it
some of mine just skip like 3/4ths in or something

the way to fix it
presuming, it plays fine in itunes just not on your ipod

right-click the song(s) in itunes
and press convert to MP3 or something
and let apple reencode it
then put that newly reencoded version on the ipod

cant gurantee success, but from my own personal experience ive found this to almost always work

Pad18

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
the songs that skip are random...for instance i can listen to a song once, it'll skip, but then the second time it won't. it's completley random

nl2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
ya'll are insane, except for the OP.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the music files. I've got a lot of songs and they worked perfectly well on all of my previous iPod's (3G, 4G, Touch, Shuffle and Nano), however, it randomly skips on the iPod Classic. So OP, I have the problem too and it is irritating as SH! But it only happens once in awhile so I'm just letting it go for now. If it becomes a bigger issue in the future I'm going to return it.

lol downloaded files skip lolol I'm sorry but I just had to laugh. The player is faulty. I'm hoping they'll update it soon.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I had a similar problem with my 4th gen 20 Gig. It wasn't completely random songs but rather songs in certain sectors. For example, songs under "D" wouldn't play through and in other areas as well, turned out I had a corrupted disc sector and ended up trading it in.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
ya'll are insane, except for the OP.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the music files. I've got a lot of songs and they worked perfectly well on all of my previous iPod's (3G, 4G, Touch, Shuffle and Nano), however, it randomly skips on the iPod Classic. So OP, I have the problem too and it is irritating as SH! But it only happens once in awhile so I'm just letting it go for now. If it becomes a bigger issue in the future I'm going to return it.

lol downloaded files skip lolol I'm sorry but I just had to laugh. The player is faulty. I'm hoping they'll update it soon.

Downloaded Files can Skip. Maybe that's not the issue, but it is still is possible.

It's most likely the Firmware just wait until apple updates it. I don't but Quality is really Lacking at apple lately!

nl2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, it can skip, but I guarantee that's not the issue. I just found it funny people immediately skipped to the generalization that perhaps music files were 'downloaded illegally' and those files were messing up the iPod when in fact the firmware was just ultra faulty.

This is what happens for me...

I turn on the iPod, play it out of my speakers when I'm cooking or washing dishes and suddenly the iPod just cuts off. Sometimes even, the iPod will restart. It's inexplicable and for me, somewhat unacceptable because of my 4G was perfect and never skipped, but man, gotta improve the firmware. If I'd be continuously playing music for maybe an hour, it'd probably cut off maybe 5 times or so. I can already feel my iPod breaking down anytime now.

marcdds

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Traverse City
Why not just buy your songs from iTunes, or Rip them from your own CD's.
They will always play perfectly that way and sound great!

I bought some songs from Music Giant at 99bps. Great super HD quality. I had to rip them in MediaPlayer on windows to a CD, then import or Rip them into my itunes. They sound better than anything else.

D.M.S

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
my ipod has a sugar ant infestation ....
every so often i'll look down at it and it's covered in little ants like something out of a horror movie with cockroaches or worms or something

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
every so often i'll look down at it and it's covered in little ants like something out of a horror movie with cockroaches or worms or something
Where do you live? Some ants in some countries and areas are attracted to electronics.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland

Pictures, pictures pictures!!!! please! I think it would look cool.:D

D.M.S

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Australia.

It came from my car floor which i noticed has ants in it.microscopic little bastards.

Pad18

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
but this is the third time this is happening. so is it more likely it's my music and not the ipod itself?

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
My new classic has been doing the same thing, without any controllable variables, it will restart. Pisses me off, but it has only happened maybe 4 times.

cmooreou

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Tulsa, OK
i just got a 4th gen ipod photo off craigslist and it will skip songs that i got from a legal cd in the middle of the song, ive only had it for about 2 hours and just reset it so i could put my music on it.

any suggestions on how to fix it?

mattymac1000

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2008
New York City
I'm on my third iPod (Classic 120G) in about 1 1/2 months. Had skipping problems on both of them and the 2nd one restarted constantly. I just keep taking them back and they keep replacing them. Luckily I work within walking distance of an Apple Store.

I'll keep taking them back until the problem is fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.