MAJOR Photoshop CS2 problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by colinet, Jun 4, 2005.

1. colinet macrumors 6502

HELP!! I have just installed (and re-installed in case that helped - it didn't) The Adobe CS2 Professional Suite on my Dual G5 running OSX 10.4.1 and Photoshop keeps locking up completely - the only way to get out of it is to do a forced quit from the Finder. Anyone got any ideas? This is really serious as this is my livelihood here and I have a book to finish ASAP.

I have been running 2 gig ( 4 x 512s since I got the machine) of ram and have just installed a 3rd gig (2 more 512s) from a reputable supplier which according to system profiler is the same specs as my other ram. Could this be the problem? No matter how much or little ram I allocate to
    Photoshop, the probelm persists. I draw for a few minutes and then everything stops working - only in Photoshop. no problems with any other software at all.

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Could be bad RAM.
    Pull out the new sticks and try running Photoshop again.

Stuff like this happens once in a while, so just return the sticks for new ones if it ends up being that.

3. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Taken out the ram and the problem is still there. could it be the 10.4.1 upgrade? I'm going to re-install 10.4 and EVERYTHING else - a whole bloody day lost!!

4. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, reinstalled (full reformat job) 10.4 and CS2 problem STILL there - total freeze in Photoshop after less than 2 minutes.

I did a quick hardware test and got this error on my logic board -
    2STH/1/Z:CPU B AD 7417 AMB and the message to unplug everything which I did. Ran the quick test again - all OK - currently running long test, logic board has passed and memory is still testing but OK fo far. Fans are going flat out while the memory test is on. The things I had plugged in were -

APC UPS RS800 with cable into USB on main machine.
    Second monitor - Sony 19" CRT
    Sony active speakers SRS-PC300D
    Wacom 9 x 12 tablet Intuos 1 ( just replaced with Intuos 3 today - same problem) plugged into USB port on 23" cinema display
    2 powered USB hubs
    Sandisk cards reader
    Microsoft (sorry!) wireless desktop pro (keyboard and mouse)
    Sony Ericsson P910i in a powered cradle into one of the USB hubs (Have to use Virtual PC to back everything up from the phone Arrgggh)

Any ideas?

(I'm using my iBook to write this)

I am at my wits end and getting v. anxious because I am getting more behind with my work - the iBook isn't powerful enough to do my illustrating on.

5. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Can you give us any error codes from the system logs? It is possible you have a problem with the machine itself, but it is funny that it only becomes apparent when using PS. I'm running PS CS 2 on my G5 with 10.4.1 and am not experiencing the same problems. A look over at the Adobe discussion boards shows that there are no major Tiger/CS 2 issues however the old chestnut of duplicate fonts still rears it's head. If you don't use font management software, or even if you do, open up Font Book and go through deleting any duplicates (the ones with black dots next to the name). Some have reported this solves their crashing PS problems.

6. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Extended hardware test showed no problems. I now have Photoshop running fine wirh nothing else plugged back in except the second monitor and Wacom. I'm using the original wired Apple keyboard and mouse. I'll try re-pluggoing other things in again tomorrow and see if I can replicate the problem. (I would like to suspect the Micrososft keyboard and mouse!!)

7. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

I suspect FontAgent Pro 3. Could be wrong. Syill had problem InDesign also crashed and when I re-ran it, it said all the fonts in my document were not available even though they were actually activated. Have done the following

A - put Photoshop CS back which works with no problems.
    B - Deleted every trace of FontAgent
    C - Deleted tons of fonts.

Will try tomorrow and see if Photshop CS2 will behave.

8. colinet thread starter macrumors 6502

Problems still there. I'm re-installed Photoshop CS 1 which is working fine with the rest of the CS2 suite. I'm reading on MacFixit forums that other people are getting similar and different freezes with 10.4 which is kiond of good news I suppose!