Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
My iPhone 5 is in a Poetic Atmosphere case, and if you have one, you know that it is virtually impossible to remove. I wanted to remove it, but in the process I am 90% sure i bent it a little. Any tips on how I can safely remove the case?

Attachments

• bent.PNG
    bent.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,567

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
This bending issue is becoming more prevalent the longer people have their iPhones. I can see if you sat on the phone, but from removing a tight fitting case? That's not cool.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
My iPhone 5 is in a Poetic Atmosphere case, and if you have one, you know that it is virtually impossible to remove. I wanted to remove it, but in the process I am 90% sure i bent it a little. Any tips on how I can safely remove the case?

Press and hold the home button and a little voice will come on asking how she can help you. Then ask her how to get your case off, be specific with the type of case.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Maybe it bent on it's own?

The case is encasing it wrong.

If the hair dryer doesn't work, use a knife (carefully) to sever the case at the edge. If you aren't a butterfingers you'll remove the case with no damage at all to the phone.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Since no one asked, i will...How the hell can u think it would be reasonable to exert so much force trying to remove a case, that u would bend the device. I tell my wife this same thing all the time. Things that are assembled by hand, and are meant to be removed or disassembled by hand do not require excessive amounts of force (or butter knives, forks, screw drivers, etc) to remove them. You're are obviously doing something wrong. I just cannot believe you bent ur phone. Wouldn't u think to stop before it got to that point???

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Since no one asked, i will...How the hell can u think it would be reasonable to exert so much force trying to remove a case, that u would bend the device. I tell my wife this same thing all the time. Things that are assembled by hand, and are meant to be removed or disassembled by hand do not require excessive amounts of force (or butter knives, forks, screw drivers, etc) to remove them. You're are obviously doing something wrong. I just cannot believe you bent ur phone. Wouldn't u think to stop before it got to that point???

?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

What was confusing? iPhone cases that are meant to be removed by hand usually don't require unibody bending amounts of force to do so. I would think maybe I wasn't doing something correctly before I bent my phone trying to get it off.

That being said, I read that it fits so tightly that it can be a pain to remove. You should hold the phone up side down with both hands and use your thumbs to push both bottom corners until they release from the phone a bit. Once that happens the case will peel away. If OP bent his phone he was most likely trying to pull it off from somewhere around the center. Which is not the correct way to remove it. And why even with all the force he applied, the case still didnt come off.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Did you try pushing your finger through the camera opening? that should push the phone up and out of the case

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
What was confusing? iPhone cases that are meant to be removed by hand usually don't require unibody bending amounts of force to do so. I would think maybe I wasn't doing something correctly before I bent my phone trying to get it off.

That being said, I read that it fits so tightly that it can be a pain to remove. You should hold the phone up side down with both hands and use your thumbs to push both bottom corners until they release from the phone a bit. Once that happens the case will peel away. If OP bent his phone he was most likely trying to pull it off from somewhere around the center. Which is not the correct way to remove it. And why even with all the force he applied, the case still didnt come off.

You have not tried to remove a phone from Casecrown. The tolerances are insane.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
any developments? Have you tried the "Candyshell" method of removing the case?

(sorry if that's the video posted earlier; I can't see videos at work)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.