Major Problem!!! (I think)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfer99, Nov 22, 2006.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

I am brand new to the mac world so I am not exactly sure what is going on. I just decided to let my macbook check for updates. It found 3 things it needed to update. After updating it said that I needed to restart or shutdown my computer in order for the updates to take effect. I choose to restart it. When it restarted all I get is a bluish white screen (before you even get to log into the mac osx system) whith a folder that has question mark in it! I dont even get the chance to put my password in to get into the computer. So basically I cannot even use my computer. I am typing this on my windows based desktop right now. What is going on? I am really hoping that I did not lose all my info or anything. I have had my mac for just a couple weeks and I just recently migrated all my docs from my windows based pc to my macbook. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Have you tried booting from the Install DVD/CD?

Try holding the "option" button on startup and it'll give you a choice of available systems.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

The folder w/ ? means that the system cant find a bootable start-up disk. So boot from the install disk, open system prefs, set the start up disk (be sure to clik the padlock in the lower right corner) to your HD, and reboot !

4. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Another stupid question from the mac newbie....Where is the option button located?

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Nothing is for certain, but I'm willing to bet your data will be there.
    Ok you must be panicking... take a deep breath (it's going to be ok), and look to the left of your space bar. The option key is there (maybe they should have said option key eh?). :)

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As long as your startup disk is okay and it's just a glitch in trying to locate it for booting, your data will be fine.

The option key is to left of the space bar...between the control and command keys.

8. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE: As a mac newbie I decided to call apple care. Just got off the phone with the guy. First off I want to say that I am very dissappointed in the service I recieved. It just seemed like the guy wanted to get off the phone as fast as possible. We went through only one option and after one minute of trying he told me that we either needed to complete reboot system and everyhting would be lost or take it into an apple store and he said maybe they would be able to save what was on the computer. Anyway I decided that what he was saying couldnt be it. So after getting off the phone I started looking around and read what one mac rumor "advisee" said about just pressing the option button down when I start the computer. Did that and I get a screen just like that person said asking me to pick the start up disk. After doing that it took awhile but it loaded right up, nothing lost, and I am happy to announce that I am typing this on my macbook. So from now on I am coming here before going to applecare no matter what. But I did learn a good lesson about backing up my info ( which I plan to do this weekend when I recieve my new hardrive). Also it just really sucks to get such terrible service from such a great company that could put out such a great product. And once again thank you so much to all that help.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Blatantly obvious short of returning an item to MacRumors. :D
    2. ALWAYS backup your data.

ALWAYS

Did I mention to ALWAYS backup your data?

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

Glad you got it working! AppleCare is usually pretty good. He must have been in a rush to start his Thanksgiving weekend, however that's no excuse for the poor advice he gave you and not following simple troubleshooting guidelines.

11. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Frisco, I thought the exact samething. Figured he just wanted to start his thanksgiving holiday early. But just like you said its absolutly no excuse!