Major problem - Stuck on white screen after chime

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by exhausted!, Dec 24, 2006.

1. exhausted! macrumors newbie

I think I need some major help guys...

Alright, long story short, I tried to install bootcamp, I got the partition and everything and it rebooted to the win XP blue screen install thingy.. I formatted the drive (thinking it was the drive bootcamp created) and I think I probably formatted OS X's drive, so I quit installing XP. So now when I start my iMac, I just hear the chime and I am stuck at the white screen, probably because I have no OS.

I want to reinstall OS X (I just got my mac, nothing to lose) but I cannot seem to be able to boot from the install CD no matter what I do...

Anyone know what I should do? I tried holding C, option-C, apple-option-C, everything while restarting with the OS X cd in.

I will have a OSX-less christmas at this rate

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of keyboard do you have? Have you tried simply holding OPTION? :)

3. exhausted! thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the apple keyboard and I tried every "normal" possible combination, I tried option but that one made a mouse cursor appear but then it freezes after a short period of time.

I was reading on apple support forums and it seems I might have to bring the machine in

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, take it in. If possible, you might be able to use another computer to get your files back with Target Disk Mode. It could be worth a try. :)