Major Problem!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamescwarren, Mar 8, 2006.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I have just tried to install Front Row Enabler 1.2.1 on my PowerBook G4 and it didn't install. Also now all my menu bar items (spotlight, modem, sound etc...) have disappeared! If I select checkboxes like: show displays in menu bar in displays in system preferences, it won't show in the menu bar! I also can not open sound preferences. System preferences just quits. I also cannot open keyboard shortcuts in keyboard and mouse in system preferences. PLEASE HELP! I AM AT THE STAGE WHERE I AM ABOUT TO CRY!

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Give me a sec, and I'll find a thread for you.

Until then, advice: NO HACKS. Supposively Apple legal got him to take the hack down already - more proof it was illegal. Don't download illegal software and this won't happen.

EDIT: Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=185191

3. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

4. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

I have just looked and found that I am probably going to have to reinstall Mac OS X Tiger. Is there anyway I can do this without backing up as I don't have an external hard drive or anything like that. I DO NOT WANT TO DELETE MY STUFF. I AM CRYING.

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yes, It's called an archive and Install. Do it with your original disks. It should reinstall the OS and keep your important files. I've never had to do this however, so you should read about it on Apple's site first.

Remember, the lesson here is NO HACKS. If it's questionable at all, it probably isn't legal.

6. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Why not do what I suggested or read those threads? You do not have to reinstall, although and archive and install is not a big deal

And, thank you calebjohnston, we know this is a hack. You've mentioned it in every time you've posted in these threads

7. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yeah, don't be so quick to just reinstall. There are other options to fix this problem. Read the damn threads.

OMG expose was a bit choppy! REINSTALL

8. bense27 macrumors regular

well for the system preferences problem you could try going to Finder>Mac HD>Library>preferences and delete the file that says systempreferences.plist.