Major Problems Post 10.4.9 - 'Re-Analyzation'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nl2134, Mar 13, 2007.

1. nl2134 macrumors member

Long story short, my computer is pretty messed up. I downloaded 10.4.9 and it wouldn't install, and after many, many error messages, I decided to restart my computer. Bad idea, as the computer never restarted.

I was told by an Apple Care expert to re-analyze my hard drive. So I whipped out my Tiger cd's and obeyed.

Afterwards I analyzed it everything was set back to the original Tiger installation from the CDs. After this, I started trying to redownload the updates to make my version uptodate, like I had it previously. A couple of problems arose:

1) The download speeds on a T1 connection were less than around 5 kbps/sec. Extremely and utterly slow for no reason whatsoever. No idea why.
    2) Whenever I tried to begin another process, like look at help for iTunes, or go surf the web, my computer would severely lag, and without any warning, the internet connection would cease. I have no idea why...my connection has never broken off in a year, and suddenly, under two instances within an hour, it has done it. Not only this, but if I try to use it with the internet down, the computer still lags like crazy. Not only this but after this, the computer won't reset also, and I have to take the battery out and restart it, something I haven't had to do until today.
    3) Not to mention I lost around 6-8 GB's of space doing this re-analyzing. The fact apparently cannot get this back unless I reset my hard drive makes me want to punch someone

What is going on with my laptop? It's a year and a half old. It's an iBook G4, 1.25gigs of memory, 100gb hard drive, nothing has gone wrong with it until this stupid update came out and screwed my computer up.

Anyone. Please help or advise!

2. gost8go macrumors member

Just completed the upgrade without incident. My PowerBook G4 17" seems to be running snappier. Gained ~200MB on my hard disc after restart.

The download was slow, about an hour on DSL. And the reboot was ~7 minutes. But everything seems fine and, as I mentioned, running better than before.:) :apple:

3. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Here's the procedure for doing successful updates:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2007031314014830

As a matter of priniciple, you should always back up your drive before doing any updates. And archive and install is always the safer way.

In your situation, if nothing else works, you may have to reinstall OS X (after backing up all your apps and data etc.). Hopefully it won't come to this. Just follow the recommendations in the link I provided above. Good luck!

4. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Boot directly from OS X DVD and repair the Drive in Disc Utility.