Major problems running XP pro on MBP 17"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Duderonimous, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Duderonimous macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    I loaded XP pro via bootcamp yesterday and have spent less than 3 hr total running it, but it is really buggy. So far it has :
    -given me error messages on startup (asking to start in Safe Mode)
    -asked to check the disk integrity on startup
    -locking up while idling (it was actually downloading windows updates)

I've been using XP pro for years on my Dell laptop and it has always been a rock-solid operating system. I honestly can't remember the last time XP crashed (applications yes, but not the operating system).

The only obvious difference was that I formatted the partition as FAT32 (so I can access files from OSX).

I have the feeling that these are problems specific to some of the Mac proprietary hardware.

Anyone else having these types of issues? Suggestions?
  2. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
  3. Duderonimous thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    Yup. Followed the installation to the letter. Had no problems during the install (other than the box getting red hot).
  4. Duderonimous thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    I think I found the problem

Win XP is set to do automatic updates, and one of the updates just would not download. Semi-automatic downloading (through the Update link in the start bar) would cause the box to hang. Manual download and execution appears to have corrected the problem.

Next, I need to address the extreme heat generated while using XP (I think I need to underclock the GPU, like OSX does).
  5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Hmm....interesting, for me with a MBP 15.4" inch, I didn't have any issue running Windows. You stayed away from the hardware upgrades right? It actually ran cooler for me than Mac OS X sometimes does. :confused:

I'd try formatting it NTFS and use a FAT external harddrive or thumb drive as intermediaries.