Major Quicktime 7 Bug?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daveway, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've been watching movies in QT7 today and I noticed something very odd. When I minimize video into the dock, it doesn't continue to show the video in the dock but audio is still heard. The movie will also not come out of the dock after it's in there.

Am I the only person with this problem?
    I do have pro.

2. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Hmmm. You did an upgrade right? Maybe I'll archive and install... That sucks dude :(

4. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    It works fine for me. I don't have QuickTime 7 Pro yet, but I tried with mpeg4, mpeg2, mpeg1, pixlet, and divx files and all played fine while in the dock.

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Well, I just bought QT 7 Pro, but I don't have Tiger yet. I was hoping it would be a download. Have to wait until tomorrow.

6. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Wow! The same thing happened to me! I was playing a music video, "1985 by Bowling for Soup" and when I minimize it, it goes to the dock, but the video is heard. The dock icon is still... not "active" showing the movie playing. But when I try to go back to it by clicking on it, it doesn't go back! BUT, if I were to hold down Apple + Tab to switch Apps to go back to quicktime, it shows the video, but when clicking on it, its unresponsive, as minimizing it. Strange.
    I've been bitten by the bug! :)

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

How did you install Tiger?

8. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded. I'm planning tomm to format and do a complete reinstall.
    Hopefully it might fix it.. Has anyone else have that problem?

P.S I'm not using quicktime pro either..

9. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

IMO, any time you install new software on top of an older version, particularly when said software is an OS, there's potential for problems. I always do a clean install for major OS releases.

11. Skull21 macrumors regular

12. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

ibookowner2

Mine

Mine looks to be running fine, and I dont have pro

13. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Mine works fine. The video and sound continue when minimized to the dock. I have QT Pro and installed Tiger via Upgrade from 10.3.9.

14. MichaelK macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem as what you described Daveway. I fixed the problem by taking out the Divx codec that I had installed. The video seems to now run fine in the dock without the codec installed.

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

How do you remove that codec, Michael? I've got 5 Mac's to upgrade. I'm not sure I want to do archive and install for all of them. Upgrade would be easier for sure...

16. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

QT7 running fine on a 17" PowerBook under 10.3.9 with the DivX and XviD codecs.

Minimises and restores OK, plays in the dock just fine.

WILL quit if trying to see movie properties whilst the movies running, but not all the time.

17. NuPowerbook macrumors member

Running Tiger and QT7 Pro it happens to me also. I also noticed that I have two Help menus it QT.

18. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Everything runs fine after going to QT7, plays fine in dock but boy did I stress since just after I installed it I then read this thread :eek: glad it's working since I have a lot of QT files for my cartoons and lessons. Hope they get it fixed for others that have problems.
    Side note: I'm not running Tiger either...

19. MichaelK macrumors newbie

You can remove the codec by going to Library and then to the quicktime folder. All of your codecs should be in there.

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Just had an interesting one, I minimized a QT window and did some work in FileMaker, then clicked the icon in the dock to open the window again, which it did, but it left the icon in the right side of the dock. it stayed there even after I'd closed the file down, and only disappeared when I quit QT.

I tried to drag the icon out and drop it, but it just sprang back, and it wouldn't respond to clicking at all.

Something obviously not quite right.

That said, H264 rocks and the new viewer is cool, plus having the ability to record audio and video directly to QT is fantastic.

21. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

The two "Help" menu is caused by the DivX plugin. Remove it and the extra help menu will disappear.

22. NuPowerbook macrumors member

Well, I need the Divx codec. Is this a problem with QT, or Divx?

23. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    It has to be a problem with QT because I have the DivX codec installed and it's working just fine, and the only difference between me and the people with the problem is that I did a clean install.

24. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Another Quicktime 7 bug?

I was playing with QT7 today (10.3.9) and I noticed when I click a link to a movie in the quicktime window, it starts safari and opens a webpage, which opens itunes and auto switches to full screen mode to play the movie. Is this new? Because if so, it really negates the need for a quicktime app, if iTunes is going to show the movie and safari is going to manage what gets shown. Basically my gripe is that Apple auto starts two other programs when Quicktime 7 should be more than capable of showing a damn movie in Quicktime Player! What else does it do???

I'm ok... just a little stressed after waiting for Tiger to completly install on my Powerbook.

25. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I just uninstalled all of my DiVX codecs and the Quicktime/dock bug seems to be fixed. However, I can't play my DiVX movies :( I'll try a reinstall.