major Safari rendering troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by railthinner, Aug 26, 2005.

1. railthinner macrumors regular

One of my coworkers here has Safari 2.0 on Tiger and it has suddenly started displaying web pages as though they'd been put through a blender -- some source code displays and everything looks chopped up and slopped up. Every site. I reset Safari, relaunched, rebooted, no custom style sheets. No idea what's up. I suggested he install Firefox and/or trash Safari and re-install, but I'd like to know from whence the weirdness came. Any clues?

thanks in advance

2. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Don't know about the weirdness - it's not an issue I've seen on my Tiger/Safari 2 installs, but I'd recommend your coworker try the web browser 'Shiira' rather than Firefox - it's very Safari-look-alike and uses Safari's bookmarks if you want it to. It doesn't do RSS feeds, but it doesn't have the memory leak issue either!

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

have you checked your fonts for any corruption/weirdness? a few years back there was a well known issue with Helvetica and Helvetica Neue causing a lot of problems in Safari. disable all fonts in the User folder and see if it improves. if not check the main Library for any fonts other than the "necessary seven" and move them out of the fonts folder one at a time and see if that helps. i've never personally seen it displaying source code as you say but i've seen it replace text with ASCII garbage and strange Russian characters etc.