MAJOR slowdown in M$ Word '04

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pdpfilms, Jun 14, 2005.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Just recently Word started operating reeeaaaallllllyyyy slllllooooowwwww. immediateily after opening the app there's about a minute and a half beach ball session, each time. Then, when i go to print, there's about a minute beach ball between each action... (print>print options>ok, go print> prited document spat out of printer).

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If someone on here knows where the Office '04 prefs are, you can try trashing those, as that will most likely fix the problem. I have no clue where they are, though, and couldn't find them by searching. Someone will know though. :)

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

It could be com.microsoft.Word.plist, which you can find in Users/username/Library/Preferences. I haven't tried deleting it, suggest you rename it and see what happens.

4. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

tried deleting and renaming it... no solution. Also, correction to my first post: I can't print period, tried with two printers. I'm almost positive it's a problem with Word, because i can print perfectly from photoshop, ical, etc.

5. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

It also seems to have slowed down printing in other apps... For instance, i just got an error message from Address Book saying "Error while printing". Could it be that Word is corrupt and messing with the printing app?

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Sounds like it's time for a clean OS install. :(

7. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I just clean installed when i got tiger, no more than a month ago.... I really hope i don't ahve to do it again.

8. blodwyn macrumors 65816

You could try creating a new user account and see if that works OK. If it does then you can be fairly sure it's something in the user home folder somewhere. Or, just a thought - how much free disk space do you have?

9. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Good call. I'll try that after uninstalling and reinstalling office. Currently i've got 18gbs left on my startup disk, so that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

UPDATE: It appears to be working fine as another user. What's even more strange however, is the fact that once i switched back to my account everything was fine.... ghosts? UFO?

UPDATE #2: Could an individual word document be causing the problems? It was working great until i opened a previously written document...

10. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

OK, things are definetly not fine. When I try to open documents and print them, i get the beachball again. I removed and reinstalled office. I'm really puzzled taht it was working great in the other account, and seemed to carry over. Now that it's back to beachballin, i have NOT A CLUE what to do.

Bah humbug!

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I recall some people having issues with printing after installing Tiger. Under Utilities>Printer Setup Utility, you can select Reset Printing System under the Printer Setup Utility dropdown. I ended up doing that and it resolved some of my printing issues.

MS Word is slow anyway. Overall it's fine, but definitely not as smooth as other programs under Mac OS X.

12. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I've been running Office for at least three years no, and it's never been like this. A two minute beach ball is not what i'd consider fine...

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

yeah two minutes is extreme...

I have had to force quit a few times while taking notes in class. There's something about trying to maintain bullet points in a series of note-taking documents that makes Word screwy.

14. pdpfilms thread starter macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

yeah, word's got some issues.... certainly not the black sheep in the ms family though.

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I seem to recall a thread here about this. IIRC, it was a font issue. Try a search.