Major Tiger Issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ewoh24, Aug 11, 2006.

1. ewoh24 macrumors regular

Hi Folks,

I support about 30 Macs in a graphic design and publishing department and we recently upgraded everyone from 1.6 GHz PowerMacs to Dual 2.0's. Everyone was on Panther and are now on Tiger. We're running Quark 6.5, CS 2 and other apps but those two are the main ones. Has anyone experienced any of the following issues?:

Serious font corruption and/or system not recognizing fonts that are absolutely there and NOT corrupt according to Font Book? We never had the volume of font issues in Panther that we are now experiencing in Tiger.

Serious slowdowns in Office 2004?

Quark crashing on a regular basis?

Now I know Quark is the main culprit here but we seem to be having many more issues now than in Panther. The 10.4.7 update was said to improve Quark issues but my experience here is that it rendered two Quarks completely unusable. Reinstall did nothing to fix. The app just crashed at launch, never getting beyond about 3 bounces in the dock. It also corrupted our company font (Myriad Pro). I've had to roll those two machines back to 10.4.6.

If anyone has any insight into these issues I sure would appreciate it. I have a near mutiny on my hands from folks that want Panther back!

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Nope. That's wierd, I used to work in a newsroom and the design team all ran 2 x 2.5 ghz Powermacs or Powerbook G4 with Tiger and never had a problem with any of the applications. Our switch to the systems turned out to be the best decisions ever.

3. ewoh24 thread starter macrumors regular

That's actually good to know. Our company font is more than likely the culprit. I just don't quite understand why it would cause less problems in Panther. Did Apple improve font management in Tiger? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Font Book get some sort of upgrade?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Limited help response..

No font problems here, but we don't use anything but the defaults and the crap that Office 2004 ***** on us.
    But beyond that, none of my many users see problems with Office 2k4 and Tiger.
    I've got one since Quark user and she never complains.
    No problems with CS2 (other than slow loading, which is normal).