Major U.S. Banks Piloting iPhone for Employee Usage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple has long touted the role the iPhone can play in the business world, frequently pointing to the percentages of top companies using or piloting the device in their businesses. Bloomberg reports today that two of the biggest U.S. banks, Bank of America and Citigroup, are engaged in pilot testing that could open the door for their employees to adopt the iPhone for corporate usage as an alternative to their existing BlackBerry-dominated systems.
    The news marks yet more evidence of Research in Motion's weakening position in the corporate world, following strong growth by Apple in the most recent quarter which saw the iPhone surpass the BlackBerry line in sales.
    The report points to a survey showing 83% of U.S. companies now permitting employees to use devices other than BlackBerry phones, with many companies finding that they can cut costs by allowing additional options as employees become increasingly willing to pay for iPhones out of their own pockets.

Article Link: Major U.S. Banks Piloting iPhone for Employee Usage

2. macrumors 65816

res1233

WOW! This is huge.

3. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Took em long enough. At the mid sized bank I work for, we've been using iPhones in the corporate enterprise for almost 2 years now.

4. macrumors newbie

JP Morgan has been doing this for going on 6 months. They have their own App (only employees can access.) Works great.

5. macrumors 6502

dwman

If this happens and VZ gets the iphone early next year, it's a virtual certainty that it's over for RIM as the corporate email juggernaut it's always been.

6. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this is a big boon to champions of corporate iPhone use. Now your slide on "Security" can just read "* Used by major corporations and banks like Bank of America / Citi"

7. macrumors 68000

ghostface147

So what does RIM have to do to return as the defacto in the corporate world?

8. macrumors regular

Major apple news and discussion site piloting news nobody cares about

9. macrumors 6502

mobi

The sooner the better...leading the way to the enterprise halo effect...but no Xserve?

10. macrumors 6502a

The navigation and web surfing in a BlackBerry is totally inferior than the iPhone. I mean, it is a design issue, the iPhone is so intuitive, the BB is not.

11. macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Goodbye to Blackberry

12. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Now if only Bank of America will fix their online banking application to work for the state of Washington and Idaho like they've been talking about for the last two years. :rolleyes:

13. Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Yes, Apple is breaking through the Blackberry Barrier.

14. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Offer up some new killer feature that no other platform has. With the iPhone, and now Android, supporting Exchange over the air, the Blackberry Enterprise Server no longer makes a lot of sense, especially for the cost involved. Not to mention that the iPhone and Android phones deliver a far superior user experience overall. RIM is going to have to reinvent themselves if they want to keep their once loyal users from jumping ship over the next 5-10 years.

15. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My company has been using them since the 3GS. :cool:

16. macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

My company already is using the iPhone and iPad. We are hoping to use JAMF Casper 8 to manage them.

17. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Then don't read it. Saying no one cares about it is obviously false though, because there are already positive comments here.

jW

18. macrumors 65816

linux2mac

They are most likely doing so because iPhone is buggy and not secure as all the Android lovers continually point out to us iPhone users.:)

19. macrumors 6502

It ain't over for BB yet though because I know a surprisingly large amount of people who have Blackberrys. Its great that the iPhone is continuing to make strides into the corporate market.

This come a day after Gartner (a very well respected research firm) urged corporations to adopt the iPad now before its too late.

Great News :apple:

20. macrumors 68000

powers74

Corp

Eastman Chem's gone to iPhone too. I can't believe people still under estimate Apple.

21. macrumors 6502

They're testing both iPhone and Android. So they could choose iPhone over Android and Blackberry or are they looking to use all 3 (BB, iPhone, Droid)? :confused:

22. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Slow decline for Blackberry

This is the early signs of Blackberry's decline. I use the word decline over death because its not necessarily a bad device, its just loosing its advantage (in the corporate market). Good news for iPhone! I really don't think Android will make many inroads in this area.

23. macrumors 6502a

ActiveSync is a great technology, and it has little to do with Apple and more to do with Microsoft. RIM was king in the corporate world because there weren't many other options besides cumbersome POP3/IMAP. Microsoft's technology is still fairly new and it's finally a polished, true product. Most important, it's free and second most important is it's part of the actual product so there are no other software packages to run or hardware requirements besides scaling for usage.

All Apple and Android for that matter really did here was take MS's software and put it on their phone. IT people are just finally convincing bean counters RIM isn't necessary anymore.

24. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

At least you have one through BOA. Wachovia never created one, and the transition to Wells Fargo continues at a snail's pace, so I can't use WF's app or mobile website either for now.

25. macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

only when it comes to Verizon,

ATT is terrible.