Majority of Scientists believe in God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Aug 12, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Thought this was interesting. I remember a while back having an argument with a poster (chanoc banned now?) about scientists who believe in God. Of course the stand out example of me is the head of the human genome project, who is an outspoken christian.

Link to article

While not any big news to most, it might be to some. Thought it interesting enough to post.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree w/ you stubeef that some people would be surprised to hear. The truth is, Charles Darwin was a Christian but his theories were expounded upon by other scientists... and contrary to belief, nowhere did he write that humans evolved from apes. He found that w/in a species, certain mutations that aided survival were oftentimes passed on (citing different types of birds and their respective beak styles that aided in their diet).

Also, I've heard that for many scientists, the deeper they delve into science, the more it became evident (to them) that due to the complexity and just the way that molecules/atoms/cells are interwoven; it would be highly unscientific to play it off as a strange, random coincidence and rather, some higher force/being had to have had an impact.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

beat me to it! i have read accounts of this also, very interesting to think about. interesting thread! :D

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Evolution explains what happened from Creation to the present. No where does Darwin attempt to explain Creation or discredit the Old Testament version of it. In fact, his theory of evolution fits perfectly with Genesis, assuming that you do not take it literally...

OT, I think that those are some interesting numbers stu. Especially interesting are is the data between the different types of scientists...

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Belief in God is separate from a adherence to a particular doctrine.

Belief in God is inclusive of, for example, belief in Allah, YHWH, and Sat-Kartar.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Why is Science and Belief in God so mutually exclusive? I personally believe God created all things. We as humans, use scientific methodologies to try and discover all the wonderful things he has created. As for evolutionary progress, it does exist. We may one day visit nearby star systems, and journey to the center of Earth, but we'll never know our own origins. That is the single greatest mystery. And I think God wants it that way.

BTW Stubeeef, my condolences to your "The Official 'Meaningless Drivel' thread".

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I definitely agree w/ you, but I can also see why people seem to "require" that science and religion be separated because most (if not all) people will not deny science its "truths" while quite a few people do not believe that religions are founded on truths, so there is a disconnect.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Since most religions disagree with each other, how could they be founded on truth? They can't all be right.

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Just because scientists believe in God, it doesn't mean they believe in pseudoscience. Many of us think that God and evolution, an Earth that is billions of years old, etc., are perfectly compatible. We dispute the particulars of some religions, not the matter that there is a God and that religion does, in its own realm, serve a useful purpose.

Of course, perhaps I am being presumptuous. I am still a student, but I think my reasoning here resembles that of a lot of these scientists on this point.

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Depends what you mean by scientist I think, are we including Christian Scientists in this?

The question is, how many professionally religious people believe in science?

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's cool that you guys are into your religion :). It's great when people are happy and secure in their lives.

I do want to say that perhaps you should be a little critical of the article before using it as definitive proof that the majority scientists believe in god. This article is really very weak (perhaps this could be pointed out to me;
    * Where is the link to the paper?
    * What is the name of the journal?
    * what is the impact factor of the journal it was published in?
    * Has it been peer reviewed to ensure the research is not flawed or non-biased?
    * What are the institutions that were questioned?
    * what were the questions asked?
    * How was the data collected?
    * who paid for the research?

Another thing to point out - the standout points in the article are totally without basis are therefore totally irrelevant;
    This does not necessarily mean that 59% of biologists believe in God. Without seeing the paper it could just as likely mean that 41% of Biologists don't believe in God, 40% were unsure, 15% thought that they were a God, and 9% believed in God (and by God this could be the God of any number of faiths) etc.

The other thing to note is that this is an independent Science website (that has a store to sell stuff as well as Google ads). Therefore more hits means more money. Take that as you may.

I'm not saying that you should totally discount this article, I'm just saying that firstly it's poorly written and referenced, and secondly that you need to be critical of everything you read beit supporting your beliefs or contradicting them.

:).

edit - spelling

12. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The title was bad marketing, If I called it "The official thoughts of Seinfeld thread" it would be rocking on right now!
    Thanks for the sympathy! :p

13. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

More Info
    The author of the study
    I'm trying to find the study they elude too from june, by google guesses.

14. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

First, let me say most of the people who thus far posted haven't fallen pray to the intelligent design debate. most of that debate was manufactorered by a hardvard educated lawyer , and has nothing to do with how it does fit into the big picture.

Both science and belief in God [or higher power] both are the search for the truth. Science could prove that a creator or higher power doesn't exist, which would make them mutally exclusive until then I think your question is yet to be answered. The question also dives into the debate of faith. Faith or blind faith is taken as the truth because you believe it is true without anything to support it. You can have faith in a god, faith in science, or both. that is why most of the debate about science and god being mutually exclusive exist. You could never argue to someone with faith in god that darwin is correct because s/he percieves it as false because of faith and vice versa. although your ideas, and study show a common ground between the two.

15. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I love the movie "Contact". It is a wonderfully written story by Carl Sagan. One of the lines in the movie, between Jodie foster and Matthew McConaughey, when Jodie is asking for proof of the existance of God, Matthew asks Jodie if she loved her parents, of course she says yes, and then he asks her to prove it.

Science and Religion so far approach as asymptotically, maybe they will touch, but they are not black and white, there is some grey.

It does make for good conversation though.

16. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yeah, i had to sit through a lecture about this in my one my classes my senior year.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That was a great line. I wish that movie had chosen to go with a truly ambiguous ending though. The little scene where the chip recorded such and such numbers of hours of static should not have been in the movie. It would have been much more interesting that way.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I wonder how many believe in faith healing?

I guess a lot depends on "what kind" of god you believe in. Is god a micro-manger or does god have a more hands-off approach? If god was a painter would he fixate over every last hair on a person's head and the spec of dirt on their shoe or would he fling paint onto a canvas from across the room?

Not that I'm very old but I'm noticing more and more that people's beliefs (religious and otherwise) are mostly a matter of conditioning and convince. How many people actually make the unnerving journey of deconstructing themselves and taking a good, hard look at what they believe and why?

How many people chalk things up to "fate" or "god's will" because it's an easy out not because it's what they truly believe?

Lethal

EDIT: About Contact. Don't scientist know what part of the brain "lights up" in relation to love/affection?

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

"majority" - well statistics can be easily manipulated based on their control/test groups of course. so on that point alone i question the validity of that claim.

i don't buy it. (i'll keep this brief and leave specifics out of this) but i'd confidently say there are probably more scientists who DON'T believe in God (in the traditional sense) than those who do (believe). i also think that many of them probably declare belief in God in order to deflect negative attention.
    often once people know you don't believe in God, or that you don't believe what they believe, they instantly discredit what you have to say or your opinions. it's absurd but it's a reality.
    a scientist would be wise to keep such information about their personal beliefs quiet. ... for the sake of their reputation.

i am an atheist, i very seldom make this known, especially amongst groups where this may buy me undue and unwanted attention. this is what i am guessing these other scientists do too.

just one angle to consider.

20. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

What is a political scientist? Here, to me, they are mutually exclusive.

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

22. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I don't understand why so many people have a hard time believing that most scientists have a belief in God. As a chemistry teacher once told me, the more you know, the more you know you don't know.

23. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I was gonna post a half hour or so ago how it appearred to me that most don't want this to be true, that there was a trend starting to explain it away. But I didn't know if it was my own prejudice or not. Thanks for your observation.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I just don't understand why, if this is the case, "christians" feel the need to constantly attempt to discount/discredit/co-opt the scientific community. Hmm...

Evidently, everyone likes the concept of God. Yay! Chalk one up for reasonable assumption...

oops, I was being rhetorical again...or was I?...I just don't know anymore.

25. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I don't know where Christianity comes into this as a specific religion. It wasn't eluded to as such.
    Many religions believe in one God, Jews, Muslims, Christians, and others.

although the scientific communtiy maybe somewhat Christian itself.

But doesn't the scientific community discount/discredit/co-opt itself, disproving and changing its beliefs on how things work as well?