Make a Force Quit sticky

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Jan 1, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm surprised at how many people don't know of Force Quit - Option + command + Escape - for applications that hang. I think we need to sticky that somewhere on the forum.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have a related question, and am prepared to be pwned by the really obvious answer....

In the year that I've had my beloved iBook, it has had two kernel panics, where the KP screen came up, telling me to restart. Fine. I can live with those odds. And it was actually really funny when the only thing it was doing was playing Oops I Did It Again, and it crashed right at the end of the song. A couple of additional times, however, it has locked up, not in the beachball of death sense, but in the sense that the mouse and keyboard were completely non-responsive.

Besides holding down the power key (and natch doing all the maintenance activities on reboot), what is the correct response for this? That should go in the stickie too...

One of the problems with a stable OS is that people don't know how to respond to crashes... :D Find a Windows user who doesn't know ctrl-alt-delete! :p

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just the FAQs, ma'am...

Maybe not a sticky just for that alone...
    Perhaps some useful tips yes, or links to other useful FAQs.

The thing is... once the majority of people register and start reading & posting, they all too easily overlook the FAQs etc.

It's human nature.

5. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

You'd do a keyboard reset, control + command + power button - I think, check Apple's website for these commands. I may have them backwards... I'll check here in a second. What that does is, well the keyboard isn't completely irresponsive, its just that thats the only command that works. - looked it up.

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I would say not to state the obvious methods to do various tasks in 10.3 or any other Mac OS for that matter. When you buy a Mac or even an OS upgrade there is a great OS manual that explains everything.

First thing to do is READ THE Mac OS MANUAL. There are many helpful hints, tricks, troubleshooting tips in there. If you cannot find any answers to your questions either re-read it or post here.

At this rate we are going to have a flood of newcomers creating new thread for silly tips and trips when this is quite know if you have read the Mac OS Manual.

Apple takes the trouble to print this manual, why are people not using it, what is this place a cry for help for tips and trick. :confused:

Please Read the Included Mac OS X.3 (Panther) Manual FIRST. :)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Slookster -- thanks! How is this different from holding the power button until the computer force powers down? If there's an Apple page about it, can you linkety me? :)

8. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

maya - people are lazy, I said I would when I got my new computer, I just started it up and threw the manual away.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If someone is lazy then the next time a stupid question passes by MR just point them to the Mac OS X manual. :)

I see no reason why people should take a short cut, Mac OS X is a very intuitive OS however some of the neat little short cuts, trick can be found in the Manual.

I was much like yourself, however one day I decided to look in the manual since Apple put time and effort into publishing this neat manual that it opened my eyes to some things even I never knew about. Makes it for a much richer OS experience.

Looking forward to those 150 new features in "Tiger" :)

And last thing you need is open the flood gates for questions and that is exactly what you are going to promote with your suggestion though in good favour it will end in disaster. Look at all the questions we get at present. :(

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The Manual is crap.
    Otherwise there wouldn't be a flurry of OSX books out there... and yes, people are too lazy.

Sometimes, I wonder if people know how to use Google properly...
    The answer's out there -- now what exactly was the question?
    :confused:

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Maybe SPOTLIGHT will help the end users learn how to use search and then incorporate that knowledge onto Google. Only good can come out of "Tiger". :)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

13. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

A great way of fixing a hung Mac is to SSH into it from another machine, if you have access to one. There have been times my Mac has become completely unresponsive, to the point where I can't even get to the force-quit dialog. SSH'ing into it and killing the process LoginWindow usually takes care of it.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If I was a true geek, I'd program my cell to do this via BT. ;)

15. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Please do not make this sticky. That's all I'm going to say.

16. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If not sticky, then add it to the how to repair permissions, run fsck... sticky

17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What about this thread? Linkety? I'll create a section under the keyboard commands thing, maybe...

18. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV