Make a Password Protected Notepad?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adk, Jul 5, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've been writing some bank account numbers (can't access them without a password) and Frequent flyer numbers and various other numbers on my stickies on dashboard, and it's too insecure for me. Is there a way to make a quickly accessible document like my stickies but have it password protected?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you have Word, you can password protect Word docs.

You can make a password protected disk image and drop all sorts of text files (or whatever) into it.

I use Password Plus to store a lot of info.

4. cbetta macrumors regular

Yoyimbo

You could try Yoyimbo. It is a multi purpose holder for "that data that you don't know where else to put". You can protect (encrypt) serials in it, and you can ofcourse do the same with your bank accounts.

5. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

I thought I added password protection to my disk image, but it's not asking for my password when I try to access it. How do I make it do that?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You can't after the fact... you have to create a new one.

However, it's likely that you DID request it, but when you create your password you didn't uncheck the "store in keychain" box (which is on by default (which seems counter-intuitive)).

Check your keychain access.app and see if your password protected disk image is listed in there.

7. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

What about using just the keychain utility to store your bank numbers and passwords? It's free, it does a good job at keeping them safe and you can move all your passwords on another mac whenever you want just by moving the keychain file that contains them.

8. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

If you save a document in .sxw format in NeoOffice you can password protect it.

9. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

I second this idea. I just discovered the secure notes feature in Keychain Access - brilliant! :D