Make a stylus like a pogo

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Star-fire, Apr 27, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

2. macrumors 6502

Cyroceon

Great job. The key issue however, is the availability of the capacitive foam.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Go to radio shack, or fry's electronics buy a chip. Some CPUs come with it too if you have and old one around.

4. macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Meh, I just bought one. What ever :p

Cool alternative though.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

That was my plan, I was going to make one and see if i liked it and then buy the Pogo, but this works so well I'll just use mine :p

6. macrumors 6502

This is awesome, I am going to run out on my lunch our and pick up a chip and give this a try. Thanks for the post.

7. macrumors 6502

timdafweak

Bought a Pogo from J&R for 14.01$ shipped (Silver). Could've saved myself the $ and made this. But oh well.

8. macrumors 65816

Nipz

Looks like it's worth a go! Great post!

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

Now I don't have a Pogo but from what I've seen that's exactly what they use.

It's worth a try to even see if you'd like it, plus you can always replace the tip with different shapes to try to your liking.

10. macrumors member

Great stuff, and thanks for sharing this.

How small can you make the tip before it stops responding?

I know that the iPhone OS does a good job at guesstimating where you want to write/draw/press, but I would like the tip of the stylus to be as small as possible.

Do you have any idea on where the size limit is?

11. macrumors 6502

This is harder than I thought. I can not find conductive foam anywhere. My local radioshack and Micro center does not carry it. I looked at the chips, and they are all in plastic. I'll see if I can head out to Frys soon.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm interesting. All ICs I've seen from radio shack had foam on the chip inside the little plastic bubble pack. I do know for a fact that Frys have them since that's where that chip I bought came from.

13. macrumors 65816

DaBrain

14. macrumors 6502

I finally made it to Frys last night and bought a chip. (some kind of CMOS chip). It was $0.69. Worked like a charm. It really does make a difference on drawing apps. Thanks again for the tip!!!