Make Apple studio display work Intel 82845g Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jkorn, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jkorn macrumors newbie

I have an Apple Studio Display 21 inch monitor.
    I bought a new PC that has an Intel 82845g 64mb onboard video adapter.
    I downloaded the 82845g driver from Intel.
    I am running Windows 2000.

In anything over 800x600 the display is very fuzzy. There are no adjustments
    that I can find that will fix this. I had it working on my old computer that died
    and had a 5 year old ATI graphics card.
    Can anyone give me some help in what to do to make it work with the Intel 82845G.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple usually ships its monitors with an adapter that allows it to work with VGA or another PC-standard port with no problems. You should check the box that your monitor came in.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

If he didn't have the adapter he wouldn't be able to connect it at all.

iJon

4. jkorn thread starter macrumors newbie

RE:Apple studio display work Intel 82845g Windows 2000

The adaptor is not the problem. The driver seems to be the problem.
    Any ideas how to tweak it?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If the PC driver doesn't include a System Pref/Displays (Control Panels/Monitors) software replacement to do the software portion of the setup and adjustment -- then there probably isn't much you can do.

It's one of the problems when using monitors cross-platform when they depend entirely on software for adjustment -- without the button on the front that gives you access to a monitor-based control panel to play with convergence, size, ect., you're stuck with the monitors settings.

6. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

I would tend to blame this issue less on the Apple display, and more on the craptacular graphics chip. There is a reason why ATI and Nvidia lead the pack in terms of graphics. Intel only throws together onboard graphics chips because they're able to make them cheap, and fool the unknowing consumer. While some of this is to blame on the fact that Intel's driver set doesn't include any sort of adjustment controls, and that the Apple display is meant to be controlled entirely by software, the primary issue is your terrible graphics chip. That is, while the lack of controls, and the nature of the display prevent you from fixing the problem, the graphics chip caused the problem in the first place. If you've got an AGP slot, use it. If it's possible to exchange the machine for something with a video card (or even ATI or Nvidia onboard graphics), then that would be even better. Failing those, a PCI graphics card may help, but the performance will suffer.