Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
In case anyone is interested, here is how to make a bootable USB drive out of the beta download.

0. This assumes you downloaded 10.11 beta from the App Store. It puts the installed inside you main applications folder. If you got it from some other source you may have differs results.

1. Format a USB drive. It must be at least 8gb. You can format it in disk utility. I did it in the new partition tab, HFS+ Journaled. Also, under options make sure it is set as guid. For simplicity I set the drive name to beta.

2. Run this command in terminal:

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.11\ Developer\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/beta --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.11\ Developer\ Beta.app --nointeraction

3. Put in your password. If you did it right, it should pop up this:

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...
Copying installer files to disk...

4. Be patient. This WILL take a while. When the process is done, the terminal window will return to the prompt.

5. After this you can boot from the USB drive.

Last edited:

vickysud

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
I'm getting an error saying "Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application".

I'm getting a kernel panic when I try to boot from usb installer. So I installed over Yosemite. How can I download El Capitan again from App store? the option is greyed out, or how can I restore Yosemite? I don't have it on usb. This on a early 2015 MBPr.

All is well, my 16gb stick was bad.

Last edited:

xplora

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
10.10.3 USB drive takes about 6 GB, leaving almost 2 GB free.

The process to create always wipes the drive being installed onto.

10.11 DP1 USB drive takes about 6.5 GB, leaving about 1.4 GB free.

It may be another couple of years before the USB stick will need to be larger than 8 GB.

Last edited:

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have the beta .dmg file downloaded. Any ideas how to proceed?

Frankly, if you need ideas to proceed after getting the dmg, you really, really should not proceed with it, regardless of how much you may want to, for the safety of your own data. At best, ask someone you know who knows these things, and remind him to make sure everything is properly backed up so you can get the system restored if things head south.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm getting an error saying "Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application".

Did you try re-downloading the installer? Does the installer start up if you double click it? (you don't need to go through the process just see if it starts up)

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
I'm getting a kernel panic when I try to boot from usb installer. So I installed over Yosemite. How can I download El Capitan again from App store? the option is greyed out, or how can I restore Yosemite? I don't have it on usb. This on a early 2015 MBPr.

You can try deleting the El Cap from your applications folder. you should only have to quit the app store and restart it and it should see that it isn't on your computer.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
10.10.3 USB drive takes about 6 GB, leaving almost 2 GB free.... 10.11 DP1 USB drive takes about 7.5 GB, leaving about 1.4 GB free.

Slight error there. On an 8gb drive, you should see the following:
total capacity - 7.46GB
available - 1.32GB
used - 6.15GB

Assuming that you rounded up for simplicity, it looks like you accidentally switched used with total capacity.

elCapUSBusage.png

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
That's great - for now.

But I wonder how long that'll last.

By the time 10.11 is released to the public it probably will be even bigger - and then it will get bigger and bigger by the time we get to 10.11.5 it might not fit on a 8gb anymore.

I think I will continue to put the el capitan ones onto 16gb usbs.

I have a tech keychain. Basically I purchase a whole bunch of usb drives and have them all on two Cable Key Ring chain linked together. On it I have every version of OS X from 10.6 - 10.11; Windows XP - 10; and the latest version of Ubuntu. Every OS fits nicely on an its own 8GB drive. I do have a couple of 16GB with apps. For example on the one for OS X, it has iLife 11, iWork 09, and Carbon Copy Cloner. Ever since I put all this on the keychain, it has really simplified setting up computers without having to spend a whole bunch of time looking for disks or remaking a CD/DVD/Bootable USB.

I don't think 16GB is really needed. If that is what you have and want to use, no worries. But without opening the whole can of worms, I would HIGHLY doubt the OS would grown more then a couple hundred MB.... let alone 1.3GB.

keychain.jpeg

Last edited:

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I have a tech keychain. Basically I purchase a whole bunch of usb drives and have them all on two Cable Key Ring chain linked together. On it I have every version of OS X from 10.6 - 10.11; Windows XP - 10; and the latest version of Ubuntu. Every OS fits nicely on an its own 8GB drive. I do have a couple of 16GB with apps. For example on the one for OS X, it has iLife 11, iWork 09, and Carbon Copy Cloner. Ever since I put all this on the keychain, it has really simplified setting up computers without having to spend a whole bunch of time looking for disks or remaking a CD/DVD/Bootable USB.

I don't think 16GB is really needed. If that is what you have and want to use, no worries. But without opening the whole can of worms, I would HIGHLY doubt the OS would grown more then a couple hundred MB.... let alone 1.3GB.

View attachment 559890

haha, funny! almost like mine...

IMG_0769.JPG

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Question regarding OP's original post 1.

Assuming I have the flash drive initialized, mounted and ready-to-go, where must the "Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta" be located in order to have the terminal command execute properly?

Can the installer file be on the desktop?
Or must it be somewhere else?
Or does it make no difference?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Question regarding OP's original post 1.

Assuming I have the flash drive initialized, mounted and ready-to-go, where must the "Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta" be located in order to have the terminal command execute properly?

Usually, it is in the Applications folder. You can also use DiskMaker X to create the bootable USB.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
Question regarding OP's original post 1....

I updated the first post to address this. Unless you alter the terminal command, the installer MUST BE IN THE MAIN APPLICATIONS FOLDER.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
In re my post #20 above:

I placed my copy of the "Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta" installer into the Applications folder, and then ran the terminal command in post 1.

Terminal puts up the following error message:
sudo: /Applications/Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

Any ideas as to what I did wrong?

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
In re my post #20 above:

I placed my copy of the "Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta" installer into the Applications folder, and then ran the terminal command in post 1.

Terminal puts up the following error message:
sudo: /Applications/Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

Any ideas as to what I did wrong?

Either put the command in quotes or escape the spaces using a back slash.

DS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.