Make every folder list view?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sebastijan, Aug 28, 2005.

1. sebastijan macrumors member

I don't like the default icon view, is there a way to change the preferences of every folder so they are list view? I'd like to run the script at the root directory and modify every folder on my machine.

I need this for Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're supposed to be able to use Show View Options -> All Windows, but it doesn't work consistently for me. At some point, I changed the default to a really big folder view, to enjoy the big icons :D and often when I do spring loading, I get stuck with that view still, which is difficult to navigate in that mode, even though my default is back to list view. :(

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And another thing, while we're on Finder Prefs: why is the icon for my "computer" an iMac? Is this a default, or have I mistakenly set it somewhere? And where is it? If I do a Get Info, I can't paste anything over it. :confused:

Attached Files:

4. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

maybe someone that is more script savvy here could make one that could do this. seems like a really good idea, as i would like this as well...i seem to really like the list view that is consistent not just user-wide but system-wide

5. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

i have the same icon...i think it's default...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

EDIT: Eeep, never mind, I have that one disabled -- it's an iMac G4 for me too. :eek:

So, in terms of changing the icon, normally, you should be able to click on the upper left little icon and hit delete to go back to the original icon. I have a picture of a hard disk outside of the casing as the default in my install.... And to paste in a new icon, you open both get info's, click on the upper left (little) icon from the target (what you want), copy that, and then click on the same little icon in the destination (where you want it) and hit paste. Does that not work for your hard disk? That's strange... :(

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It works everywhere else, but not on the sidebar icon. There, I don't even get the option to paste over it.

Attached Files:

8. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

i think all you have to do to replace the icon is just drag another icon over the current one and it'll change...

9. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I see...there's something strange about that icon / file -- I don't have write permissions for mine. I don't know where it's located. Also, did you notice it is *not* a hi-res icon? :confused:

But yes, same deal for me, Skunk. I cannot change it either.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is yours an iMac, too?

Whoops! Just noticed both of you have answered that one... :eek:

12. mersea macrumors regular

Sidebar icons are like the trash icon.. you can't change them the normal way. Download the free trial of Candybar (from Iconfactory) and you can change away.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Cool! That did the trick! Thanks.

14. untamedhysteria macrumors regular

untamedhysteria

anybody know where the icon is actually located so i can manually change it without a program?

15. sebastijan thread starter macrumors member

I have made ListView Script (AppleScript; for Mac OS X 10.3) and ListView Action (Automator; for Mac OS X 10.4) for Finder. You must choose only a folder to take action for all sub-folders.

Link (finder.zip)