Make firefox faster?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by jcnoob, Sep 19, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

sometimes it take ages for me to start firefox on my leopard.
    is there a way to prefetch firefox on startup or tweak it so it's faster? (dont say anything about about:config) should i switch to camino? i just want a nice browser/fast page loading and startup

2. macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items -> Add Firefox to the list and set it to hide. This will launch FF at startup and it will be instantly available to you when you need it :)

3. macrumors 6502a

pit29

Use WebKit (webkit.org)!

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

umm i dont want the application to open at startup. what i mean is like how windows preload some of IE's files and stuff at boot so when you launch it it's much faster.

5. macrumors 65816

arjen92

That's what darkcurse is saying.

6. macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Well, other than opening the application at startup there is no real way of "pre-loading" Firefox to make it start faster etc. If you do it my way, it will launch then be hidden so you don't actually see it until you need it. Win-win IMO :)

7. macrumors regular

Firefox Tweak to speed loading

I came across this suggestion in one of my windows forums last night to speed up loading of the browser. It also works in firefox 3 for Mac:

"Start Firefox3 and go to Tools Menu >>> Option >>> (in the new window) chose Advanced >>> Network Tab >>>
    (in connection Table) press Setting button >>> (in the new window) chose Manual Proxy Configuration >>>
    type in the HTTP Proxy Field: 127.0.0.1 >>> and Port: 0 >>> click OK >>> click OK >>> restart your firefox3"

no need to uninstall any Adds-ons , Extension , Plugins . . .
    no need to change your security setting , firewall , anti virus . . .
    no need to clean your firefox3 cache , history , cookies . . .
    no need to restart your windows Xp , Vista
    no need to change , uninstall , disable your firewall and anti virus