Make google search open in new tab in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bodeh6, Sep 20, 2005.

1. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    I was wondering if there is a way to make it when you highlight something in Safari and then ctrl click it and do google search if that search can open a new tab and leave the current tab as is? Currently the search opens in the active tab. I like it in Mozilla/Firefox where when you google search for the ctrl click button, it will open it in a new tab.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Select word, press Command+Shift+L. But that brings the search to a new window though. :(
  3. bodeh6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    Thanks for the tip and I found out how to do it in tabs too. In Safari's general preferences, on the "Open Links from applications" just select the option "in a new tab in current window".
  4. fayans macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2005
    MacRumors: Forums
    Is this only for google search?
  5. hanguolaohu macrumors regular

Mar 5, 2007
    This is really basic funtionality that should be included within Safari preferences without hitting "command shift L".
  6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    When control-clicking text in Safari you can also hold down the Apple (Command) key when you click 'Search in Google'. Bingo, new tab.
  7. silby101 macrumors member

Jun 20, 2003
    Create new service

I have a broken arm and it's difficult to hold down cmd and click, so I found a workaround based on

Open Automater -> Choose Service -> Find 'Run Shell Script' action and drag to workflow window -> Choose '/usr/bin/ruby' from Shell drop down menu -> type the following
    require 'cgi'
    `open '{CGI.escape(}'`
    Then save it with a title like "Search With Google (New Window)" and you are done.