Make iCal play iTunes (for use as an alarm clock)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Max on Macs, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Feb 25, 2006
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Hi there,

I'm currently using a fancy app for my alarm clock which makes iTunes start playing whatever playlist I want. But what I'm really after is the ability to have iCal do this so I can setup my alarm clock in there with repeated events, would make life a lot easier. Is there any way this can be done? Preferrably in a way whereby when I sync with my iPod then it will make that start playing also (for when it's in an iPod Hi-Fi which it is whenever my laptop isn't left on overnight).

2. sahnert macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    I've done this by setting iCal to "open file" and choosing a particular file from the itunes folder. Not sure about a solution that includes the iPod.
  3. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    If you put an event into iCal and select Alarm in the info panel, then choose Open File and select a music file, it will open iTunes at the specified time and play the song. How you randomise the music is another question, but I'm sure one of the geeks around here could write a little script to do it. :)

Edit: Beaten to it.
  4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    How about this from dougscripts?
  5. Max on Macs thread starter macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Feb 25, 2006
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Yeah, never thought of just opening a file! Well now it's going to play Burn it Down by Avenged Sevenfold for me every morning, which might get boring and need changing after a while :p If someone knows how I can make it randomise or whatever my iTunes then please let me know, also I'd like a solution that would work along with my iPod (nano 2G) since this won't (I don't think) so if anyone can helop with that please let m eknow.
  6. nimr0d macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
    i use an applescript i wrote, its prertty easy to setup. open itunes, pick a playlist, then start the song. I also have it so that every 10 seconds the volume goes up gradually. I have the opposite script for when i go to sleep
  7. Jaindvar macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2009
    to nimr0d

Please explain to me (in VERY simple, step by step) how do this !!
  8. Salvatore.Dali macrumors newbie

Dec 3, 2009
    How to use AppleScript to do this?