Make in Terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by DaLurker, Nov 15, 2006.

1. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2006
    So I'm in the terminal and I can't seem to find Make.. anybody want to clue me in on why it wasn't installed on the base Mac OS X
  2. therevolution macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    I'm sure it's in the Developer Tools... you'll need to install that anyway for gcc.
  3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Make is installed via the developper tools, and it should not be installed with the base OS. Have you ever heard of any normal user (not a programmer) asking for make? :)
  4. almightyshoe macrumors regular

Jun 4, 2006
    B-Town, India
    So regardless, if you want the developer tools, you have to pop in the DVD and run that setup? Bah.
  5. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Yeah, it's been a while since I've done it, but it must take at least ten minutes. And getting the DVD out of the box then out of the paper sleeve is such a pain - why doesn't Apple have the DVD permanently inserted in the drive?

While they're at it, they could preinstall Firefox, Office, VirtueDesktop, Parallels with Fedora, Debian and SuSE Linux VMs as well as Windows. And BootCamp. And Civilization IV. To save me having to do it myself. I know most people out there don't use those applications, but I do.
  6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Or download them (to make sure you have the newest version).
  7. almightyshoe macrumors regular

Jun 4, 2006
    B-Town, India
    See? I'm not alone.