Make it stop, please... (Annnoying Audio Adverts)

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Wes, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Hey Admins! Those of you who live in the UK will no doubt have been exposed to the 'crazy frog'.

I just got one of these audio flash ads at the top of this site and was hoping Arn could put this on the blacklist.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

Yes audio ads can be really annoying, especially when they interrupt your iTunes :mad:

3. macrumors 603

gekko513

I remove sites that start serving audio ads from my bookmark list if they don't stop doing it after I complain about it.

There is no way that I will allow that kind of unwanted intrusion, and I will stop visiting macrumors too if I start getting audio ads even though I've become quite addicted to this site.

4. Wes
    thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

No need to be so negative. Arn's stance on these ads is that he will remove them from the list of advertisers as long as he is told about the offending ad. I'm sure he'll do the same here.

5. macrumors regular

Omen88

What the hell is up with that frog anyway? I've seen it everywhere on the Internet. What is it about? It makes my blood boil when I see it, thank God I haven't heard it yet... I would rather have rusty nails inserted in my rectum than clicking on one of those ads.

6. macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm just stating it as a fact. I do not visit sites that have audio commercials. I'm glad that arn and macrumors has a policy of removing advertisers with audio.

7. macrumors 6502a

I hope you don't watch MTV every frigging 2 minutes one of those damn adds is on :mad:

8. macrumors 603

gekko513

I've been to the U.S and tried to watch TV. It was just ridiculous how often and how long the ad breaks were. I've better things to do with my life.

9. macrumors 6502a

macrumors, i understand :D

10. macrumors 603

gekko513

of course, :D (unless they start serving audio ads ;) )

11. macrumors 6502a

wowser

The ads seem to play at a volume much higher than iTunes (even when that's at full volume)

12. macrumors 65816

20rogersc

It wouldn't be soo bad if it was a decent song ....

.... but Crazy Frog :eek:

That thing has got to get killed.

::20ROGERSC::

13. macrumors 6502a

Calling all frenchman :rolleyes:

14. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Other options include contributing to the site so that you get an ad-free front page... or coming straight into the forum pages and not going near the front page at all...

15. macrumors 68040

XIII

This ad is still there, I saw it just now. Any word arn?

16. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

17. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

18. Wes
    thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

19. macrumors 68040

XIII

Thanks arn! *Phew* :)

20. macrumors 601

Yvan256

You guys might also want to start surfing with plug-ins and Java disabled. A well-designed website should even work with javascript turned off.

Now, if Apple would add a "turn off animated GIFs" option in Safari, I'd be set (I can't read anything if there's movement on the screen - hint to some people with animated avatars). ;)

21. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I know, the first time I heard it I had my headphones on and had the volume up to almost max (but didn't realise it because I wasn't listening to anything else at the time). :mad:

Good to see it is gone now though. :)

22. macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Totally agreed. Kill these adverts - animation and sounds are soooo annoying!

I leave plug-ins and Java turned off while normally browsing and only turn them on if I need them for something.

The other thing is go get PithHelmet. It adds a lot of control for this sort of garbage. http://culater.net/software.php/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php

23. macrumors G4

Mord

24. macrumors regular

RubberChicken

Try blocking the site serving the add directly in the hosts file. Forgive, I forget where I read this. But the result is that on reading the ad server address it does nothing... sweet, sweet peace. It was the crazy frog that sent me looking for a solution to this months ago.

Can you imagine what we would do to anyone who ACTUALLY used it on their mobile!

25. macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Or you can just use PithHelmet and it takes out pretty much all internet ads. :eek: i may not be supposed to say that here