Make iTunes 10 look like iTunes 9

Discussion in 'OS X' started by Simplicated, Sep 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I guess many people (but not all) out there hate the design changes in the new iTunes 10. I created this thread to help people revert the changes to make your iTunes 10 look like iTunes 9. This is Mac only and only tested on Mac OS X 10.6.4 and iTunes 10.0.

1. Back up your iTunes database! It's always better to do this before you regret.

2. Close iTunes.

3. Download this iTunes 9 Icons pack (3.7 MB). The icons are extracted from the original iTunes 9.2.1 installation package.

4. Download this iTunes 9 Sidebar Icons pack (11.1 MB), made by OutThere.

5. Open your Applications folder, and right click the iTunes icon, then choose Show Package Contents, then double-click Content, and finally Resources.

6. Replace all the files from the iTunes 9 Icons pack and then iTunes.rsrc from the iTunes 9 Sidebar Icons pack. Type in your password when prompted.

7. Open Terminal, paste in "defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -1 && killall Dock && killall Finder" without the quotes.

8. Open iTunes. Enjoy the old, perfect iTunes 9 interface!

Result:
    [​IMG]

2. macrumors 603

richard.mac

ah nice work! i can confirm that the defaults write com.apple.iTunes full-window -1 command reverts back to the previous title bar with horizontal 'stop lights' very easy and non destructive hack.

havent tested the theme or icons yet.

3. macrumors newbie

Any idea on how to change the checkboxes back to the old ones?

4. macrumors member

I had done the title bar hack the other day, Thanks a bunch for the Icon pack though! I have been scanning right over the new icon in the dock all day. I keep thinking to myself where the hell did iTunes go?

New iTunes icon looks like beginner photoshop tutorial.

5. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. macrumors newbie

I figured out how to change the checkboxes. I changed them back to the iTunes 9 looking ones by editing the images in the .rsrc file.
    You can download it here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nbdlvtvh67i21c6
    (This .rsrc has the colored icons included)

Picture:
    [​IMG]

7. macrumors 65816

I did the ones mentioned by OS X Daily, but I believe the articles mentioned someone at MR put it together. If that is you Simplicated, thanks!

8. macrumors newbie

Update

I tweaked some more things to make it like iTunes 9 if anyone is interested.
    This new .rscr includes:
    - Old Checkboxes
    - Colored side bar icons
    - Colored Preferences icons
    - Old Category bar
    - Old Capacity bar for when device is connected
    Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?11648zhdbudk7qw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still can't figure out how to change the volume bar though.

9. macrumors 65816

Thanks for that! Kinda funny how Apple released a new and improved iTunes and all of us are working hard to make it look like the old version. :D (I couldn't take the dock icon and vertical traffic light look)