Make Mac appear on TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shaun.P, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2003
    Omicron Persei 8

Is it possible to connect my mac (eMac) and TV up (standard tv with scart and coaxial slots) so I can see what's on my mac's screen on my TV?

I'm asking this because I sold my DVD player when I got my eMac, saying to myself that I'll just watch them on my computer. But the way my computer is positioned right now it's not really a comfortable place to watch DVDs.

Any cheap suggestions? My TV is about 3 meters away from my computer.

2. motti macrumors newbie

Jun 16, 2004
    Are you sure those are coaxial and not simply composite slots? Then you can hook your eMac to the TV using the miniVGA adapter Apple sells
  3. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2003
    Omicron Persei 8
    Um I'm not sure. It's round, you plug arials into it, etc. I live in the UK maybe we call them different things?
  4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

Sep 11, 2003
    search for apple video apatper in the apple store.

they make these adapters specifically for people like you. find out if you can use a composite or s-video connection with you tv. if you can, this adapter is for you. only really old tvs do not have composite, newer ones have s-vid (better than composite). you will also need the right cables (composite video or s-video depending what you'll use to move the video, and a mini-headphone to composite audio in cable (aka y-audio cable) to move the audio.
  5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I don't know what your budget it, but an DVD player can be bought for like $30 at walmart.
  6. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    You get what you pay for... I think his mac would be better quality playing than that, and might not want the extra clutter..
  7. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2005
    Actually you would be better off getting a cheap DVD player. Don't buy the cheapest but the 2nd or 3rd cheapest. I wouldn't waste your time using an eMac as a DVD player.
  8. iMacSE500 macrumors member

Jul 8, 2005
    I agree with buying a cheap DVD player. Quality will be fine and it will be a lot easier.
  9. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Get the adapter from the Apple Store and buy a cheap rca/composite to coax box. Here in the States, places like Radio Shack sell them. You could probably find it cheap off of eBay. Then buy some long coax or rca cables.

You're looking for something like this:
  10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Get a cheap DVD player.

For the cost of a video adapter and cables, you are approaching the cheapest of DVD players. I've seen them for $40.

... as for eMacs and the Video adapter, make sure it works before you buy it. I had an nVidia eMac and the Video Adapter didn't work, even though it has the same slot as the iBook VGA out (and the Video Adapter works in an iBook.) The VGA converter works in eMacs for sure though.

I don't know how much the VGA out + the VGA - Composite converter will be, but I'm sure it will be the cost of a DVD player.