Make me a promise...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by amacgenius, Feb 4, 2006.

1. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

This is why I stay here isntead of other sites, you guys are the only forum that I like that I belong to that doesn't do those damn ads in the posts:

Example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That gets so annoying!!! It's bad enough some sites have obtrusive ads but when you put them right in the post without consent from the poster, I feel that's wrong and so far MR is the only forum that I belong to that I visit daily that doesn't do that - and I hope they don't do that because then I'd have to find another place to visit.

Can anybody (arn, mudbug, Doctor Q) on the admin team make me a promise that this will never happen on the MacRumors forums?

-amacgenius

2. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

All I can say is if those sites are annoying don't visit them. The instant I'm bombarded with any flashy annoying advertisement I move on to something else. I can't stand that distraction. In the past I've even taken to viewing all sites as text only just to get some reading done. And while it may seem wrong for a site administrator to place ads in posts it is their site and they can do whatever thay want. I'm grateful that isn't going on here and I too hope it never will.

3. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

That was my point of the thread, I really don't want Arn to do that here, so I was just raising the issue - I've already stopped visiting Spymac (one site that does this) and I plan on leaving MacNN soon.

4. Lau Guest

One thing I would also say is to email the owner of the site and say you won't visit any more because of this. It's important to speak up against intrusive stuff like that.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would agree I hate:mad: this kind of ads! One option is to use firefox and use AdBlock.

6. thomasp macrumors 6502a

If arn was to implement a feature like that on MR (which I hope he doesn't :)), then one way around it would be to subscribe, which removes all ads.

I'm sure I read ages ago on here that MR have a policy of not putting popups on the forum pages or MR.com homepage. However, you will notice popups when you view old news articles on MR (if you're popup blocker is turned off)

7. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Oh, I've most certainly done that. I agree the only way to change something is to speak out. I've never sent a complaint to anyone concerning MacRumors. Not much to complain about here;)

8. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I also really hope that MacRumors doesn't start doing this form of ads on the site because to me it really takes away from the site when all you want to do is read the forums with out having almost every word in green (or in a different color) telling you to click the link.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, I don't know when you became a Demi-God, but I thought you guys didn't see ads because you've contributed.

10. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

We don't see ads. amacgenus was referring to MacNN and Spymac.

11. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

As skoker stated I was talking about other sites and how I don't want MR to become this way.

Also I've been a Demi-God since August '05.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ah sorry, I misread. I thought you meant you also saw one of those here. I was going to say...

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I doubt we'll ever have in-line ads like that, as I find them very distracting.

arn

14. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Thank you arn! :)