Make Me Switch - Another Donation Site *sigh*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rockthecasbah, Apr 23, 2006.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It seems nowadays the internet wouldn't be the internet if it didn't have donation sites asking people for money so they can buy things. Now it seems there is one just to get someone a new Intel iMac to switch.

http://switch.watchmactv.com/

It's so annoying, basically he's complaining about having an old computer, working full time, and not being able to buy it. It's rediculous. My take: If you want a new computer so badly, don't be an lazy schmuck and go try to hold down a second job! It's not everyone's responsibility to buy things for you! This is a grown kid.

ugh :mad:

2. andysmith macrumors 6502

Hey, if people are stupid enough to give him money then fair play to him.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True.....

....Anyone want to give me money for a MacBook Pro? ;) :) just kidding.

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I don't think it's that bad of an idea, I mean he's made $711.21 in a very short time.

I think he just needs to realize that it's gonna take him a while - not just a couple days or whatever.

And, I think he should pay for some of it, I mean, come on! Eh, never know.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, he did manage to raise a lot of money by doing this. While I don't agree with this sort of thing, he's definitely hitting his goal and you can't really argue with that.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A good start to be sure. :)

True, he can not expect to get a new Mac for free overnight. :rolleyes:

I agree, he should pay for some of it. But if people give him enough money, then he just got a free Mac- which is quite cool! :)

7. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I personally wouldn't donate to this guy because I don't agree with what he's doing. Others may feel differently and could reason it that he has the "initiative" to find the money any way possible. But this, to me, is only higher class street begging.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, I would not/will not donate to him either based on similar grounds. :eek:

Good point, I guess that he is only practicing a slightly higher form of begging. But if it works..... ;) :)

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think I heard a statistic that the average panhandler makes $40,000 a year; average, which means some make a lot less, but some make a lot more. :eek: Even more depressing? I think a lot of teachers make $40K for their salaries. :eek:

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Wow, that is quite a sad statisitic. :(

Of course, teachers can practice street begging during the summer and boost their income to $80,000. ;) :)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Are you saying that some of these "beggars" are begging on the streets during the day, and driving home in their Toyota Corollas at night? :eek:

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Some of them probably do. :eek: :eek:

But there are some street beggars who are in honest need of alms. :)

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I completely agree. But... sometimes, money isn't the best thing you can give someone. Offer to buy a warm coat or a nice meal. Ya know?

And people who just say, "Why don't they just go to a shelter?" Really have no clue. What few possessions someone might have will most likely be stolen from another person there. They have a very limited amount of time available, and really no personal space or privacy. There just aren't enough shelters and resources for all the homeless and and underprivleged.

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

All i know is the i am a fulltime college student (read as pay for college myself) Have a damn girlfriend to buy things for (curse her) work fulltime, and still managed to buy my powerbook, powermac, 20" monitor, two iPods, and a boatload of accessories. Plus all that anime i love :p

Partly because i was originally working two jobs got enough money for the things then realized second job was cutting into study time so i got rid of it and just work at hospital now.

15. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I don't give homeless people money. I'll buy them mcdonalds and bring it back to them occasionally, but I won't give money that could be going off to drug habits or something of the like.

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

so your the one giving the homeless heart diseases from high cholesterol T_T

:p I once gave a woman 20 bucks for a bus ride home because her car broke down and her cell phone died.

Even if it wasn't true made me feel good to give her 20 bucks for her smack habit.

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I don't think thats true. Thats over $110 dollars per day. Most panhandlers make a couple dollars per day tops, in my area anyways.

18. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I'm just going to comment on the original post and say what a shame. I can see donation sites for worthwhile things, such as expensive life-saving surgery, charities, help groups and what-not. But a computer? Dude, work some OT and buy the fracking thing yourself...don't beg for loot. Then again I have pride and would never lower myself to that level for a product of any sort, no matter how badly I wanted it. Things are so much better when you earn them.

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

But it is better than giving money so they can buy drugs or booze, right? ;) :)
    Although, in the right quantities, all three are deadly... :rolleyes: :)

True. Sometimes its the thought and kind act of charity that counts. :)

20. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

who cares what this person does with their time. if he can get the money for free then kudoz b/c thats just what we would all want for ourselves

21. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

my point exactly. I just don't see justification of preying off the money of stupid people. I mean it's there money but it's still pretty damn low to do that.

22. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

I used to give an old man panhandler in Little 5 Points, Atlanta a few bucks everytime i saw him...

Then one day i was standing in criminal records and he came in... walked up to the cash register and asked the guy to give him 20's for all his ones...

He had around $400... and that was from that day... ;)

i asked the cashier if he came in often and he said yup... everyday...

I never gave him another dollar after that... :eek:

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good, that man was obviously scamming poor, trusting people such as yourselves. :mad: :rolleyes:

24. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
  25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

All i know is that I am happy that i am helping someone kill themselves so they stop taking away my oxygen.