Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarfBag

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Hello guys.

I had my first full-time job this summer. The experience was great and I plan to do it again next summer. I'm still in High School, so I can't work full-time in the winter. I'm looking for things to do at home that will bring in some extra money. I'm very good with computers... a little too good. It would have to do with something technical. I know some people on this forum make money by doing stuff in Photoshop, etc. Does anybody have any suggestions or things that have worked out in the past for them? Also, I would appreciate it if you would explain how to get started. lol :p

BarfBag

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
munkle said:
Build websites?

I've actually considered doing that. I have made a few sites in the past. The problem is - I suck at it. LOL! Any other ideas?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I thought you were going to say licking and stuffing envelopes. :p

Hmmm.. building websites is a good suggestion. You can also try designing ads and graphics for local businesses. Menu designs, etc. I've gone down that route before, but getting started is always the hardest part and expect to do several jobs for free to get your name out.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
This thread's title was mis-leading, I thought it was going to be about a pyramid scheme or something. ;)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
So can you not actually leave your house? What about providing tech services (repair and troubleshooting) for people? This might entail needing to get out of the house, but if you are good with computers, this could be a start.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
If you're any good at graphic design, you could start a store at Cafepress. I have a political store there, and I make a couple hundred dollars a month, which is fairly common there. It's not a lot, but every bit helps. The hardest work is setting up the thing, but now all I do is add the occasional design.

Note that there are some people there who make almost nothing at all. That seems to be more common among the folks who sell original, trendy artwork. It's probably just an oversaturated market. The political stuff sells because, well, people love to argue politics.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
If you are good with computers, yet you say you suck at building websites....a little more information surrounding your strengths would be quite helpful in making suggestions for work.

If you are a gifted PS person, well I don't know :p. If you have a lot of free-time just devote yourself to learning a web creation tool/program and start doing it. Advertise wherever you can (sig here or whatever too). Don't charge a lot, or at all to start (as Lacero mentioned) to start getting your name out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.