Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Hey Kids!

Just got a new K800i, and wanna put some tunes on it for ringtones - saves spending £3 for a 30 second clip!

Is there a way to do this with my iTMS tracks, without burning them to CD and re-importing?

Its such a drag, plus I ran outta CD's. :eek:

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
josh.thomas said:
Hey Kids!

Just got a new K800i, and wanna put some tunes on it for ringtones - saves spending £3 for a 30 second clip!

Is there a way to do this with my iTMS tracks, without burning them to CD and re-importing?

Its such a drag, plus I ran outta CD's. :eek:

I think you could do it with something like Wiretap - check out versiontracker. com. Or, there's always Limewire, as you've already paid for the tracks once ;)

Applespider

macrumors G4
I think you can put a picture slideshow into iMovie, add the song as the soundtrack and then use the Quicktime expert settings to only export the sound as AIFF which you could then put back into iTunes as an MP3.

Bit of a faff though - I suspect burning CDs is quicker. ;)

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
No need to do all that. iTunes can convert it for you. Go to preferences, advanced, importing and change import using to MP3 encoder. Select the quality and click ok.

Now in your library whenever you right click on a song you'll see an option to convert selection to MP3. Click that and a new MP3 will be created (not replacing the original) with the settings you selected ealier. Just make sure to change your importing prefrences back to whatever it was and you're set.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
panoz7 said:
No need to do all that. iTunes can convert it for you. Go to preferences, advanced, importing and change import using to MP3 encoder. Select the quality and click ok.

Now in your library whenever you right click on a song you'll see an option to convert selection to MP3. Click that and a new MP3 will be created (not replacing the original) with the settings you selected ealier. Just make sure to change your importing prefrences back to whatever it was and you're set.

"Protected content cannot be converted"

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
josh.thomas said:
"Protected content cannot be converted"

Shoot... didn't read well enough to realize you were doing this with the ITMS stuff. Sorry and good luck. There's got to be a way to do it without burning CDs.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
panoz7 said:
Shoot... didn't read well enough to realize you were doing this with the ITMS stuff. Sorry and good luck. There's got to be a way to do it without burning CDs.

;) There used to be a program that could do it, and I believe there is still one available for Windows.

It annoys me that we can't convert them in iTunes. It doesn't stop piracy, as people can just put them on CD and re-import them, although it does make the idea of FileSharing less flattering, I 'spose.

Oh well :(

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Any more ideas for this?

I'd like to burn an audio-book to CD to listen to in the car but it's too long for a CD. As the car's CD player will play MP3's I figured I'd convert the audio-book to MP3 but hit the same problem as the OP that protected tracks can't be converted, and in addition I can't even burn and re-import so I'll probably never hear the audio-book I just paid £15 for!:mad:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It's been cracked again. Do a Google search, I think Engadget had an article on it. Might be Windows only though, I don't know.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Yay for obsessive engadget readers like myself!

It looks fiddly, but thought I would link it as it has already been mentioned

QTFairUse6

And is it really legal to P2P mp3 versions of songs if you already own a version? It seems unlikely, but some one mentioned it and you never know with al these crazy laws...

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Felldownthewell said:
Yay for obsessive engadget readers like myself!

It looks fiddly, but thought I would link it as it has already been mentioned

QTFairUse6

And is it really legal to P2P mp3 versions of songs if you already own a version? It seems unlikely, but some one mentioned it and you never know with al these crazy laws...
no, it's not legal, although some might call it moral....

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
mpw said:
Any more ideas for this?

I'd like to burn an audio-book to CD to listen to in the car but it's too long for a CD. As the car's CD player will play MP3's I figured I'd convert the audio-book to MP3 but hit the same problem as the OP that protected tracks can't be converted, and in addition I can't even burn and re-import so I'll probably never hear the audio-book I just paid £15 for!:mad:

I don't have any DRM'd music on my Mac at all, but you could try this: Go to iTunes, select the recording, Info, click on Options, then set "end time" to 60 minutes, burn it, same thing but set "start time" to 60 minutes and burn again. It might work. Could you try it and post the result?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Buy one CD-RW. Seriously. That's how I used to put my iTunes music onto my XBox. Or see if you can burn to a disc image of a CD. But a CD-RW does the trick fine I believe.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I dont by music from iTunes anymore, the DRM is to much of a hassle anyway. I mean its not like i am making cd's and sharing them with the world. Just by the cd from amazon and save yourseld the pain of burning and importing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.