Make my ibook g3 quick please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by efree58, Feb 26, 2006.

1. efree58 macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm new to Mac's. I have the OS 10.4.5 installed on my 500mhz ibook with 384mb ram and 8mb ATI Rage graphics. It is really sluggish. Scrolling, and trying to click sux. Could someone tell me if I could turn off some features and pretties to make my ibook less sluggish. Would panther run alot better? Any help would be awesome.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Use only a minimal number of dashboard widgets.

You really need to boost your RAM to 640MB (max)...that will make a huge difference.

3. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

If you want to turn off some "pretties", you can open System Preferences, go under Dock, turn off magnification; and minimize using Scale effect instead of genie effect. Also, you can turn bluetooth and airport off if your not using them. Finally, you can adjust settings in Energy Saver such as processor performance. BTW, all of these are accessed through System Preferences.

Also, make sure to delete any applications you wont use. There are probably other things I am forgetting, so you should try and search the forums. You'd be surprised at how much useful info you'll find... especially on the topic you need help with, many people ask things like that. Well, I did at least when I was new. :D

4. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

i have a 500mHz g3 dual usb iBook as well, with the 640mb RAM.. it works quite well and is very usable for daily tasks. you should really upgrade the ram.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it's not going to be all that snappy. That ibook was made to run OS 9, and it did so quite well. I used to have a 600 mhz ibook, and it never ran OS X right. It was "usable" with 640 RAM, but 8 MB VRAM and a slow G3 processor are just not going to be snappy under OS X. Sorry. :(

6. efree58 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, thanks for 4 replies in twenty minutes. I really don't want to put any kind of other hardware in here becasue it's kind of a transitional computer. I sold my Windows laptop and I am waiting for the intel ibook. I guess I could systematicly go through everything in the system preferances and turn off anything that my be using processor power. How would deleting applications help make it faster? Does Mac OS use processor power for applications that arn't even open?

7. California macrumors 68040

California

They say the minimum ram for Tiger is 512mb.

It wouldn't hurt to upgrade to a faster hard drive and max out the ram.

you can always part it out later at a profit.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I concur on the RAM, installing a 512 Mb SODIMM is easy to do yourself and the RAM is not expensive.
    I don't recommend you get into replacing the hard drive -- it is a long and fiddly job and likely not worth it for a temporary machine.

9. Agent69 macrumors member

Agent69

I was one of the people who bought the 500mhz G3 ibooks when they arrived. In fact, I also had 384MB of RAM in mine and came with Mac OS X 10.1. I sold it after two months. Why? I hated the mushy keyboard and Mac OS X 10.1 was dog slow on it.

If I was you, I would try the following:

1. Disable Spotlight, Cups, and mDNS (Bonjour) if you don't need them.
    2. Disable Dashboard.
    3. Set the wallpaper to a solid color.
    4. Remove all icons from the desktop, include drive icons.
    5. Turn off all power savings features, including any screensavers.
    6. Make sure nothing is launching automatically, such as the iTunes helper.

10. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Whether your using Panther or Tiger you definitely need more ram. In my experience, on an older iBook I found Panther to be the best OS. It felt snappy to me as opposed to Tiger.

11. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

12. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i would suggest trying Panther with some more RAM. if that still feels too heavy any Classic OS would run well. 9.1 was a nice OS.

13. efree58 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll first roll back to panther and see how that goes. I really don't want to go out and get hardware. How much would more ram cost? Do they use standard PC parts or do I have to get something funny because Apple thinks differant?

14. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I just picked up a 512 stick at Crucial for $100, just to give you an idea. You could probably get a better price off of eBay, but when it comes to memory I usually buy new.

15. efree58 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, just looked at prices of the 512 sticks for my ibook and I would be spending at least 100. I don't want to spend this much and I can't find a panther CD. I may just use my roomates spair laptop, I didn't want to but this is pretty slow.

16. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It won't help unless you have little hard drive space left. (Less than 8GB).

You could try to install Linux on it if you feel adventurous. Linux is usually more snappy with less advanced GUI features installed by default.

17. efree58 thread starter macrumors newbie

I supose I could give Linux a try. Used the live ubuntu CD and seem alright. I have enought hard drive space, currenty using three external hard drives, kinda sux because this has only USB1.1.