Make Safari bookmark folders show up in the menu?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by todd2000, Nov 10, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I have my Safari bookmarks organized into folders, but it annoying to have "show all bookmarks" and navigate through them that way. Is there any way to make the folders show up in the Bookmark Menu, and expand when you highlight them similar to what "Bookmarks Bar" does? Just to clarify, because I can be a little confusing :) If you click the Bookmarks Menu, and highlight "Bookmarks Bar" it expands a list of whats in your Bookmarks bar, is there any way to make alll of my Bookmark folders behave that way?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If I understand your question correctly, all you have to do is add the bookmark folders to the "Bookmarks Menu" collection when you're in "Show All Bookmarks."

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Assuming you don't want a ton of folders in your Bookmarks Bar, do this:

Click the "open book" icon at the top left, or choose Bookmarks->Show All Bookmarks.

In there, on the left, create a new folder, preferably with a reasonably short name.

With that folder selected, drag the other folders (if any) into it.

Click on Bookmarks Menu. Drag all of those to your new folder.

Finally, open Bookmarks Bar and drag that one folder to it.

Now, the other bookmarks will all be accessible via the Bookmarks Bar.

Do all of the above except move things into Bookmarks Menu if you want them there instead of the Bar (edit: as WC said above).

4. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks! Wow im an idiot :) I didn't even think of that I just assumed it was impossible :) I geared my-self up for hacking the .plist file, or some other down and dirty solution too. LOL. I somehow convinced my-self that it was not possible.