Make Second Display Main Display

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevietheb, Aug 30, 2005.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I'm currently using the Screen Span hack for my iBook. I was wondering if there is a way to make my second display (my nice large LCD) my main display...any ideas?

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Drag the tiny little menu bar in the Display Preferences panel of the System Preferences to the other screen. It will automatically jump back to your other screen when you disconnect the second display as well!

3. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

EXCELLENT! Intuitive, but not obvious...

THANKS

4. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Using my iBook with an LCD set at 1280x1024 is SOOOOOOO nice. I've been stuck with 12" 1024x768 screen real estate for over a year. It's nice to stretch my legs...I still, however, extoll the virtues of th compact 12" -- I just realize now that I want a larger monitor for home/office use.

Hrmm...perhaps my next purchase will be a 12" powerbook with a 23" Apple display...

5. BlueT macrumors member

This doesn't seem to work for Powerbooks. Is it because the iBooks are using a hack, or am I doing something wrong?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nope that's the standard way. Works fine on my PowerBook.

7. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Can someone please walk me through what and where this little menu bar is located? I don't see anything but icons in the system preferences folder.

8. Pantsington macrumors newbie

How to Properly make your Secondary Display the Main Display

To make the Secondary Display the Main Display on your Apple NoteBook you will first need to make sure the secondary Display is in fact plugged in and working.

When this is complete make your way to
    system preferences > Displays >Arrangement Tab
    Now be sure the mirror Displays is NOT selected and you will see your display layout.

With Two displays only one has a white bar accross the top. Thois is the indication of the main display.

You can click and drag this bar to any one of your displays making it the main Display.