Make [TIMG] default?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by vniow, May 29, 2007.

1. macrumors G4

I've noticed that some people have been a major proponent of the tags as opposed to [IMG] ones for larger images. I think if the former were to be made default it would solve a lot of the problems with images that end up being large enough to make people unnecessarily scroll abouts.

Thoughts?

2. macrumors G4

skunk

No thoughts because I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. I just upload an image and type .

3. macrumors Core

won't help loading times, but it'll make things more readable so i'm all for it.

4. thread starter macrumors G4

An example from another thread.

tags:

[img]http://www.geek.no/_dill/dill2.jpg

tags:

[img]http://www.geek.no/_dill/dill2.jpg

It would help loading times slightly because its only loading the thumbnail image and not the full sized one. The main advantage is that it does make threads like photo ones especially far easier to read.

5. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What a TIMG?

Edit: Oh I see. AHHHH!!!! I like TIMG now. I promise not to use IMG anymore!

6. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

actually won't help load times at all, since the full image is loaded, and then scaled down by the user's browser.

The only issue with making it default is it enlarges small images to the same size. It's not "smart". But depending on how often that happens, people could use some new tag like [smallimg] or something which won't scale at all.

arn

7. macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't that exactly what my method does, too? :confused:

8. macrumors Core

in theory it would, but since they're just tags, i think it still loads the whole version, just in a thumbnail view.

notice it won't take any longer to load the full size when you click on the thumbnail to view fullsize.

9. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We've talked about it, but one problem, as arn points out, is that also scales up larger images:

[​IMG]

becomes

[​IMG]

If we can fix that issue, I would be in favor of implementing it.

10. macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I'm for this, it helps keep screen's nice a purty.

11. macrumors G4

skunk

12. thread starter macrumors G4

Its for externally linked images. Not manually uploaded ones.

About the upsizing issue, could there be some way where a drop-down menu having both with a small description implemented?

13. macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, I have no idea how you do that anyway. Ignorance is bliss, I think.

14. thread starter macrumors G4

15. macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I don't know about the techno aspects, load speeds being affected and all, but for the simple asthetics of one particular thread, it seems it would be nice to have a smaller, uniform image size which could be enlarged with a click, according to personal interest. I don't visit Pic of the day anymore. It's contents are fab, but the huge display and image sizes are cumbersome. Obligatory IMO.

Thanks for bringing it back up, vniow.

16. macrumors Core

same thing here. i can't read that thread. hurts to. but it has some wonderful stuff in there.

17. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

18. macrumors 603

SkyBell

Do people feel a need to type IMG and TIMG? I just use img and timg. works the same for me.

19. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm all for having both options in the toolbar.

No, that's my 'tar.

20. macrumors Core

iBlue

I love the TIMG feature (and have been using it myself for a while on larger images) but I wouldn't like to see it as default unless that scaling up issue is resolved. It may not help load times but it makes browsing on a small-medium sized laptop much easier. side-scroll is pants.

21. macrumors 6502a

rather then implementing a whole new MOD into this...cant we just change the old one? so like if(width<500) or (height<300) then scale..?

dno really just a thought. also while where updating the images part..how about including a lightbox type plugin, so it doesnt open each picture that you click in a new window, but rather an ajax overlay..?

:)

22. macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

the majority of inserted images i've come across lately need to be scaled down... i personally think it makes more sense for TIMG to be the default (since most images need that) and if your image doesn't need a TIMG tag... you could simply change it to IMG.