Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharleyParker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
I'm trying to display a series of full screen images in a UITableView (because I want to allow the user to be able to swipe through several at a time, and I want them to have that springy bounce).

I have a table set up (in landscape view) with full-screen size cells (480x320), and I'm loading the cells with images from an array. So far so good.

The problem is that I want the full-screen size cells to line up with the window when the TableView comes to a stop. The default seems to be that the TableView stops where it will, with no regard for the window or view coordinates, I suppose on the assumption that the cells will always be considerably smaller than the window.

Is there a way to make it coast to a stop so the full-screen sized cells line up with the window (or even have it adjust its position after stopping)?

I looked into using a UIScrollView with pagingEnabled to accomplish the same thing, but this seems to be limited to scrolling one page at a time. All of the examples I've seen seem limited to a single page per swipe. Maybe there a way to let a UIScrollView scroll through multiple pages with a single fast swipe?

I'm trying to adapt a UITableView specifically to get that behavior. I want to let the user move past several images at a time with a fast swipe, or page through them individually with slower motions.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
UIPickerView maybe? :-\, just an idea. IDK if the interface of that would look good in your application though.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Yes, it's true that the examples that use paging are only one page at a time.

If you look at the code, however, you'll notice that you can modify scrollview did scroll in order to set paging only when the swipe is quick.

It's approximately the same way I used in order to get horizontal paging but vertical scrolling.

In fact you could set paging to more than one page if you just tell it to scroll more than one. But I think setting normal scrolling then set the paging when it starts slowing down is better.

CharleyParker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I'll try them in turn and report back.

I looked into UIPickerView because it does something else I want to do with this, which is have the array of images loop back on themselves so it's continuous in either direction. The UIPickerView does that, as well as having the right physics, but it seems limited to its faux-cylinder appearance. (Though all of my information about these features is sketchy and based on limited experience.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.