Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hello,

I'd like my user folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) to show the contents of the corresponding folders on my external HDD, where I keep all my files, just like Windows libraries do, is that possible?

Thanks for the help!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you keep your Documents, Photos, Music, etc on an external, but you want the user subfolders to point to those external locations?

You could simply delete those folders and use aliases (or unix symbolic links) to the new locations.

rk25123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you keep your Documents, Photos, Music, etc on an external, but you want the user subfolders to point to those external locations?

You could simply delete those folders and use aliases (or unix symbolic links) to the new locations.

That's exactly what I mean! The problem is that OS X won't let me delete those folders, so I was wondering if there was a way to make them point to the external drive.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You probably have ACLs on them. Some setups do, some setups don't.
Type:
Code:
cd ~/
ls -le
into the Terminal, and see if anything is printed out like:
Code:
0: group:everyone deny add_file,add_subdirectory,directory_inherit,only_inherit

You can remove them with:
Code:
chmod -N <filename>
where <filename> is the folder name.
You can drag the folder onto the Terminal window to have its filepath added to the command line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.