Make your Macbook/Pro cold as ice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbyboulders, Jan 7, 2007.

1. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

This forum has helped a Mac newbie like me out tremendously since i got my Macbook. So i thought i'd help contribute by putting up a Mac app that im very pleased with.

This app lets you control the fans on your Macbook/Pro. Now i can Actually use it on my Lap!!!!!
    And it's Free!

Program is called smcFanControl

http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html?www.reghardware.co.uk

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yeah, I use this program on my Mini to keep temps down while it's folding. Good app for Intel Mac users.

3. Gosh macrumors 6502

Yes, really good!

Don't mind a really faint background hum of the fan set to run higher rpm in return for a cool MB!

2700rpm works for me!

Much better than it getting really hot and then ramping up to 6000rpm to bring temps down - that tends to get the remark "is something wrong with it".

Nice to see uninstall instructions too! Anyone trying it should note that it's installs in 'System Preferences' - had me puzzled initially!

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

4. islandman macrumors 6502

5. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Let me guess... stick it in a freezer or move to the north pole? :)

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Though its been covered in numerous threads, its an awesome app.

Hard to believe but my MB is running at 111F/44C right now. Normally its at least +25F more. Fan is running at 2200rpm.

7. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Whats a healthy base speed for the fans in this program? the default is at 1500

8. Gosh macrumors 6502

9. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

MacBooksickle? Prosickle? Macsickle?

/got nothin

10. erkanasu macrumors 6502

11. freshS0LE macrumors member

freshS0LE

so which app would u guys prefer...smcFanControl or Fan Control 1.1?

also, would these apps void warranties if u play around and adjust the
    fan speed? im guessing no but wanted to make sure.

12. Gosh macrumors 6502

Well, me it's 'Fan Control' it offers uninstall instructions on the web page. You can also set temperature thresholds.

I would worry if I thought I was doing any harm. I think I'm just "loosening the belt a little bit" - allowing the fans to do their job even if that means the design vanity of inaudible fans is slightly compromised!

It was a recommended app in Mac Format (UK mag).:)

13. kbrening macrumors newbie

An even BETTER way to control fans in your laptop-- STAY COOL!

I tried SMC fan control for a while, but it is a very limited application that runs in the background (but still takes up a space in your dock)...

THEN I found a program called: "Fan Control 1.1" on VersionTracker.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It runs in your System Preferences, and lets you set many parameters, including: target temperature, lowest fan speed, highest temperature, etc.

Best of all, it's FREE!

It also graphically displays this information in a continuously-updated graph when you access it via System Pref's.

My laptop has never run cooler... OR quieter :)

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

14. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

One wonders if it is indeed a design vanity or mandate? It would have been nice (and still would be good to have on future laptops from Apple) if there was an Apple Sys. Pref Panel that allowed you to do the same things as Fan Control). Those fans are not always a silent and vibration free in every unit that ships, these are inexpensive fans and some are bound to be noisier than others even with in the same manufacturing batch/run. I'd prefer an option of max. low noise/battery saving, and then an option for coolest running temp, with variable fan speed, or constant, battery run times be damned. Under demanding uses, you have no option but to let the fans run at full speed, and you'll still have a lap burner under those conditions. Better to have Apple design from the get go, cooler running systems (low power GPU's for instance, and let the user choose a 'cooker' CTO system, if they want a higher performance GPU...ala PC users who have the choices Mac users still do not :( ).

But do you think such an preference option would ever be offered by Apple, in OSX 10.5 maybe? I think not. I kind of doubt Apple service would ever be able to know if you used such software which would void the warranty, as long as you do an uninstall of the software (and any crash logs when the software was in used) when seeking warranty service. How else would they know?

15. Gosh macrumors 6502

For me it's just a little tweak that just seems to work and keeps things cooler, longer. It has come about to cater for a need, a demand! So many Mac and PC tweak utilities out there - some get incorporated, some don't!

I guess most obvious is chron maintenance utilities (loads out there like Macaroni and Onyx) that allow the automated OS-X clean & repair routines to be scheduled rather than having to leave your Mac on (not in sleep) 24:7 to keep it running sweetly. This I expect to see incorporated into 10.5!

16. bbydon macrumors 6502a

do fans wear out?
    why doesnt apple do this....to keep them silent?
    just curious

17. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Just installed and tried your settings, dropped my temp by 10 degrees in less then a min. Nice thanks.

18. Gosh macrumors 6502

Guess all things have a limited lifecycle - or number of cycles.

Can't be great for the fans to be going off like a mad vacuum to 6000+rpm to chase the temp back down when its got out of kilter either!

Can't be good running at such high temps.

Dependent on usage and applications as well - so many variables I'm sure you agree - a matter of personal sense!

(I would tweak to suit ones own usage but with aim of lowest sustainable fan speed - for safety the app leaves the original automatic fan speed control intact)!

19. bbydon macrumors 6502a

sorry i haven't tried this out yet, but does the fan controlling program only run when you have that program open, then when you close the program, the computer goes back to the normal apple settings.

20. Gosh macrumors 6502

I believe smc Fan Control is an application and has to be reset (I think I haven't tried this one) whereas Fan Control 1.1 is within 'System Preferences' and is automatic on restart/wake etc.

21. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Making your fan run faster and longer than it needs to causes excess dust build up, which can overtime effectively causes overheating. Using compressed air helps, but not completely.

22. richgaccione macrumors newbie

richgaccione

thank you for the app!

my macbook pro gets super hot, this is awesome!

one question.....is it normal for the fans to sound like they are hitting the sides of the casing when they run faster? i cranked the speed up a pretty high and they were really loud and noisy, not like "whirrrrr" but "clack clack clack"

anyone know?

Macbook pro, 10.4.8, 1.83ghz, 1.5 gbRAm

23. dopeytree macrumors regular

24. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

I dont get it, what does setting lower/upper limit for temp do? does the computer shut off if it exceeds these boundaries? or adjusts the fans rpms until its again within the boundaries?

25. Gosh macrumors 6502

Referring to Fan Control 1.1 (not SMC FanControl).

3500 rpm is max Base Speed (or idle) setting although I wouldn't want mine running at that - fan/s would be audible in the background - (2700 rpm works for me). MacBooks will normally ramp up to over 6000rpm when chasing the temperature down. Because this app leaves the automatic fan speed control intact the fans will obviously still go up to that if need be for safety - buts it should be less likely!

It also lets you set an an upper and lower CPU temperature threshold - the differential then describes the steepness of the temperature gradiant and so the acceleration of the fan/s to keep your temperature sane (for me 42-75 degC).

No two people use their computers the same so it's an idea to tweak it a little (esp Base Speed) to see what the lowest sustainable balances out at over regular use.

Attached Files: